Do you change down gears before stopping at traffic lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes usually unless it's really late change and I only just stop, in which case I'm pulling on the brakes. I'm someone who changes gears lots.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, I do when I ride in traffic - as opposite to a segregated path.
I really do not like the whole gear thing, too much coordinated multitasking for somebody that does not know right from left :laugh:
Alas, when you're slow like me you need gears on the road.
Btw, you're supposed to, the cyclecraft book says so.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Yes, when I remember to (depends on how much else is going on). Not so much on the fixed, though

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have no idea. Probably. My bike riding reflexes just kick in while my conscious mind watches for traffic and stuff.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Smug hubbie here too. Change down when I stop.
I still often change down as I'm slowing, else I forget and strain my knees when I'm riding a derailleur bike.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I usually do. I didn't last year after a rehydration session at All Bar One at the end of the Southend FNRttC. I put a bit of force onto the cranks as the lights turned green going into Parliament Square and broke the chain in three lanes of traffic. I'm not strong or heavy, I just started off in a higher gear than I'm used to. You feel surprisingly helpless going absolutely nowhere as the cars accelerate around you beeping their horns.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I find that I can get off to a quicker start than almost everyone else when I change down before I stop and start pedaling at a low gear. But this obviously requires changing gears very often, which I'm not sure if you're meant to do?
Unless the traffic lights are on a downhill section, where higher gears are better for a quick start.

For most junctions, I drop a couple of gears so if the junction is clear then I can power through, or stop if required.

TRaffic lights are the same, except you can predict more certainly whetehr you will need to stop.

However as most of my bikes / trikes have Rohloff it is a moot point as changing gears when stationary s not an issue

donnydave

Über Member
I always drop down to one particular gear that I use for setting off as its far less stress on knees and chain and is quicker to get back up to speed. I normally do it while braking I'll "under-pedal" as I call it to change gears as I come to a stop. I do it automatically without thinking. I then have a set gear that I normally cruise at. Incidentally those two gears get noticeably more wear so they get replaced regularly, and the whole cassette every three "start and cruise" gear replacements.

As far as the comparisons to cars go and not setting off in 4th, I have found the solution here is an absolutely massive v8 - 1st gear is for carefully rolling out of the garage, then put it straight in 4th and forget about it ^_^^_^

Top Bottom