Do you claim tax for using your bicycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I've delivered a few drawing packages on my bike over the last year after work and because I've used Cyclemeter for all my rides I know when and how far, so that's really useful Andrew- thanks!

subaqua

What’s the point
Yes, and you can't claim for the scenic route only the most direct route .

I claim for the commute in as I am paid from our Woking office but travel to site from home . as long as I not at one location more than 2 years i can keep claiming.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Yes, and you can't claim for the scenic route only the most direct route .
Wrong. You can claim for the most practical route. After all the most direct route might be along the A1 with no cycle path. You will have to justify your route if it isn't an obvious route (steep hills, quicker). You could take the senic route and only claim for a direct route, who's to know bikes don't have oddometers.

I can't claim mileage when I use my bike for work, because it is a work pool bike and can only be used for work business and must be available for all my employees (me) to use. I can claim for service, tyres, lights, locks, insurance, etc against tax though.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Can bike couriers also claim?

One assumes so.

Davidc

Guru
Yes, I've claimed it for years, both when employed and self-employed. It was a trivial amount but was put up to encourage cycle use some years ago.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Can bike couriers also claim?
You don't claim the 20p/mile from the tax man, you off set 20p/mile against tax. This means that for every 5 miles you cycle you pay 30p less tax.
Couriers can claim, just put the mile you do that your employer doesn't pay you for on your Self Assessment form (which is the downside, you have to fill in one of them and remind the taxman you exist)
I claim for leading Skyrides.

rb58

Enigma
I get 6p a mile on expenses, then each year I claim the remaining 14p a mile on my tax return. 20p a mile is quite generous I think.

Top Bottom