Do you claim tax for using your bicycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luke Redpath

I do, but you can't claim it for ordinary commuting, just business journeys.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I get paid mileage and I don't have to take the most direct route, I just claim the route I take, which I sometimes take slight detours to make a more pleasant journey. After all motorists don't always take the most direct route either. However I would be able to justify my detours on the basis of traffic or hills rather than a random wandering around the city.

subaqua

What’s the point
I do, but you can't claim it for ordinary commuting, just business journeys.

depends on where you are paid from, just like in a car. I am paid from our Surrey office , but work in London . so get the travel into london as we are not expected to go to Surrey first. even HMRC have some sense

Luke Redpath

depends on where you are paid from, just like in a car. I am paid from our Surrey office , but work in London . so get the travel into london as we are not expected to go to Surrey first. even HMRC have some sense

Yes, that's not ordinary commuting though, it's travel to a temporary workplace which is a form of business travel.

By "ordinary commuting" I mean to a permanent place of work.

Edit: just reread your post. If your established permanent base is the London office then it's very likely your travel would be considered ordinary commuting and this would not be tax deductible. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

subaqua

What’s the point
Yes, that's not ordinary commuting though, it's travel to a temporary workplace which is a form of business travel.

By "ordinary commuting" I mean to a permanent place of work.

Edit: just reread your post. If your established permanent base is the London office then it's very likely your travel would be considered ordinary commuting and this would not be tax deductible. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
I never work on the same site for more than 2 years , which is what HMRC say counts as temporary. and they the ones that count. even better is that from 1st april my base hopefully changes to London and i visit multiple sites a day which will add on more mileage

Velow

I never work on the same site for more than 2 years , which is what HMRC say counts as temporary. and they the ones that count. even better is that from 1st april my base hopefully changes to London and i visit multiple sites a day which will add on more mileage

If it helps, I've created a website that allows people to help keep track of their cycle expenses. https://velow.bike

tatr

Although it isn't tax related, my work expenses policy lets me claim at the car milage rate if I cycle.

I'm quite tempted to cycle to our office in the south of France over a bank holiday weekend - which would be a claim for about £300 ^_^

Although it isn't tax related, my work expenses policy lets me claim at the car milage rate if I cycle.

I'm quite tempted to cycle to our office in the south of France over a bank holiday weekend - which would be a claim for about £300 ^_^

Yes but then you would pay tax on the 25p excess as it is above statutory rates.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was on a course and everyone else could claim mileage for there car i put down my mileage too, i figured i still commuted and therefore i am allowed the same allowance, anything else is discrimination.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Do you have to be self-employed to do this??

No. You can do it if you have to fill in a tax return.

I'm not self-employed, but due to part-owning property that my wife rents out, I have to complete one. Claimed when I was working in Derby (away from my normal office) for the days that I rode home, as my company won't give me bike mileage.

Top Bottom