1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you claim tax for using your bicycle?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Andrew_Culture, 17 Mar 2014.

  1. fossyant

    fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

    South Manchester
    I claim 20p per mile from my employers. Reminds, me, I need to claim, not done it for 12 months. That should be about £130.
    Andrew_Culture likes this.
  2. DCLane

    DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

    I have done but can't atm as I've a bike on the Cycle to Work scheme - because of that I can't claim at my workplace.
  3. Mort

    Mort Interstellar Overalls

    €0.06 per kilometre commuting, about 250 days a year, means I get €150 a year tax back, which keeps me in brake pads and tyres.
  4. Luke Redpath

    Luke Redpath Well-Known Member

    I do, but you can't claim it for ordinary commuting, just business journeys.
  5. summerdays

    summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

    I get paid mileage and I don't have to take the most direct route, I just claim the route I take, which I sometimes take slight detours to make a more pleasant journey. After all motorists don't always take the most direct route either. However I would be able to justify my detours on the basis of traffic or hills rather than a random wandering around the city.
  6. subaqua

    subaqua Guru

    depends on where you are paid from, just like in a car. I am paid from our Surrey office , but work in London . so get the travel into london as we are not expected to go to Surrey first. even HMRC have some sense
  7. Luke Redpath

    Luke Redpath Well-Known Member

    Yes, that's not ordinary commuting though, it's travel to a temporary workplace which is a form of business travel.

    By "ordinary commuting" I mean to a permanent place of work.

    Edit: just reread your post. If your established permanent base is the London office then it's very likely your travel would be considered ordinary commuting and this would not be tax deductible. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
  8. subaqua

    subaqua Guru

    I never work on the same site for more than 2 years , which is what HMRC say counts as temporary. and they the ones that count. even better is that from 1st april my base hopefully changes to London and i visit multiple sites a day which will add on more mileage
  9. Velow

    Velow Member

    If it helps, I've created a website that allows people to help keep track of their cycle expenses. https://velow.bike
    Andrew_Culture likes this.
  10. Drago

    Drago Guru

    I used to, just to annoy my employer.
    classic33 likes this.
  11. tatr

    tatr Well-Known Member

    Although it isn't tax related, my work expenses policy lets me claim at the car milage rate if I cycle.

    I'm quite tempted to cycle to our office in the south of France over a bank holiday weekend - which would be a claim for about £300 ^_^
    hopless500 and Velow like this.
  12. bikingdad90

    bikingdad90 Formerly chris harte

    Yes but then you would pay tax on the 25p excess as it is above statutory rates.
  13. cyberknight

    cyberknight Guru

    South Derbyshire
    I was on a course and everyone else could claim mileage for there car i put down my mileage too, i figured i still commuted and therefore i am allowed the same allowance, anything else is discrimination.
  14. jahlive905

    jahlive905 Active Member

    Do you have to be self-employed to do this??
  15. jay clock

    jay clock Massive member

    Hampshire UK
    cycle and claim for the car rate?