Do you claim tax for using your bicycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Form p87 for claiming back mileage not given to you by your employer where entitled to it.

don't need to fill in self assesment as it will automatically go on your tax code the following year. I took the lump sum on 1st year then got a tax code adjustment.

as for not claiming it. why not if the tax system was used properly by everybody the whole thing is fair. its when people take advantage it becomes unfair.

oldroadman

Veteran
Interesting. I can see the 20p/mile for business use. But for couriers, surely they are providing a machine to carry out self employment, and should be able to claim the whole cost of doing so (or 90% of it) as they would not be able to work without the bike. Presumably less any mileage they get from whoever gets them their jobs. The for a courier there's things like radio hire and other stuff to claim, waterproofs for instance. Where lies a question, does a courier get paid for a job, not the mileage, in which case it all goes to help accountants make a living.
When I started up post-average racing career I know mine did very well for me in my first year (and subsequent ones), turning my "owing about £4000" to a rebate of around £300 in one go. Lots of vehicles at 90% of total running costs adds up to a lot. Best money ever spent on her fees - which of course are claimable against taxable income! ^_^

Top Bottom