Do you eat the rind on soft cheeses ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have never felt inclined to eat it. We had extended family round for a buffet and Brei was part of it. I was surprised that I was the only person not to eat the rind.
Googled it this morning to see if I am correct. Apparently I have been missing the tastiest part!!
Not ALL rind of course. I came across a funny account of a woman who had read that the rind was good in soups etc but had a disaster when she tried it. She hadn't realised that Dutch Edam rind was different :rolleyes:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Yep, I do...except Edam LOL!.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yup, and the rind on bacon !!
Still is apparently. It is food grade so wont make you ill but its not meant to be eaten.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have never felt inclined to eat it. We had extended family round for a buffet and Brei was part of it. I was surprised that I was the only person not to eat the rind.
Googled it this morning to see if I am correct. Apparently I have been missing the tastiest part!!
Not ALL rind of course. I came across a funny account of a woman who had read that the rind was good in soups etc but had a disaster when she tried it. She hadn't realised that Dutch Edam rind was different :rolleyes:

Hell yeah,

It's the best bit.

Like the jacket, on a jacket potato.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Cornish yarg is covered with nettle leaves, which add texture to the taste.

But do you eat the maggots in cheese?
My late father-in-law visited an old farmer many years ago and was invited to partake of tea with bread & cheese. Jim noticed the cheese was heaving a bit and mentioned this to the old fellow. Whose response was "They'm only gonna taste of cheese, ain'em", and mashed the maggoty cheese on to his bread. Jim wasn't by nature a squeamish person, but this made an impression on him.

Top Bottom