Do you eat the rind on soft cheeses ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The world has gone mad, and the sad thing is that the more we sanitise our food, environment and whatever else , the greater our vulnerability will be to infection and disease because our natural immune systems have been eroded .
The French still have a fairly relaxed attitude to food hygiene. A couple of years ago I was at a cheese stall in a rural Provencal market (Bedoin, I think). I asked the lady if the Camembert was ready to eat. She took the top off the container, grabbed my forefinger and jabbed it into the top of the cheese.
"Bien sur!" she said triumphantly.

woodbutcher

Veteran
The French still have a fairly relaxed attitude to food hygiene. A couple of years ago I was at a cheese stall in a rural Provencal market (Bedoin, I think). I asked the lady if the Camembert was ready to eat. She took the top off the container, grabbed my forefinger and jabbed it into the top of the cheese.
That pretty much expresses what l love about living in France and that attitude applies to much more than food.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Absolutely! When there was some kind of food scare in the UK a few years ago, a French expert was interviewed on a TV programme here. He said...

" The British are obsessed about food safety. The French care more about taste."
The irony is that the more you care about "food safety" the more chance there is that it will have the opposite effect.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I still do that here to see if the cheese is ready. I even tell my wife never to put camembert or brie in the fridge as it stops it from maturing.

I had some soft cheese in Corsica last summer that ought to be identified as a biohazard by the EU. Or placed in the highly unstable compound section of the periodic table. A plasma welder was needed as knives vaporized on contact.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't know if it's been asked or mentioned in this thread,but do any of you eat the 'skin' on black puddings? I think ones from 'proper butchers' are actual animal produce,but I know of someone who tried to eat a Mattison's black pudding skin and gave up after 15 minutes and after finding out the 'skin' is made of plastic.:stop:

Maybe they should put a warning on the things.

WARNING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EAT THE OUTER LAYER OF THIS PRODUCT AS IT'S MADE FROM MAN MADE PRODUCE AND NOT ANIMAL PRODUCE!!!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Usually I eat the rind but sometimes it can have too much of an ammonia flavour.

My favourite rind is that of the formaggio ubriaco, which has grape skins pressed into it. I'm sure @Pat "5mph" will have tried that one.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My latest achievement was to eat a 2 month out of date Stilton, rind and all.

Mrs S thinks I'm weird, but I believe cheese never goes out of date, it just gets better with age.
I ate some stilton last night which expired on 1st Nov 2018. It was fairly smelly but tasted good - but I threw the rest of it away because the amonia was stinging my throat. I do eat rind though, especially on Brie it's the best bit, I love the furry texture on my tongue

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not really a soft cheese, but just having a lunchtime snack. Stilton (with rind) and rosemary crackers. Nom :mrpig:
IMG_20190306_124052794.jpg

Top Bottom