Do you eat the rind on soft cheeses ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cornish yarg is covered with nettle leaves, which add texture to the taste.

But do you eat the maggots in cheese?
My late father-in-law visited an old farmer many years ago and was invited to partake of tea with bread & cheese. Jim noticed the cheese was heaving a bit and mentioned this to the old fellow. Whose response was "They'm only gonna taste of cheese, ain'em", and mashed the maggoty cheese on to his bread. Jim wasn't by nature a squeamish person, but this made an impression on him.
That story reminds me of a camping holiday in Devon, in the early 70s. We called at a farm and asked for some milk.
The farmer said (my best Devon accent here) I'll just go and milk e cow.
Sure enough, a glass pint bottle under the cows udder, a few squirts and there was our pint of warm milk. And we all lived :smile:

Slioch

Guru

My late father-in-law visited an old farmer many years ago and was invited to partake of tea with bread & cheese. Jim noticed the cheese was heaving a bit and mentioned this to the old fellow. Whose response was "They'm only gonna taste of cheese, ain'em", and mashed the maggoty cheese on to his bread. Jim wasn't by nature a squeamish person, but this made an impression on him.

Um, ok!

When I say I'll eat anything cheese related, I may have over exaggerated somewhat. :sad:xx(

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Jacket potato skin....the crunchier the better

With extra butter and pepper
If you like potato skins, you'll love cheese rind.

All these years you've been missing out.

And wasting good cheese :ohmy:

You any idea how many gallons of milk it takes to make a pound of cheese??

Lots!!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Proper cheese is full of mites anyhow.

Maggots are just mightier mites ^_^

kapelmuur

Veteran

I had a pal in the RAF who kept his cheese on the window sill until it became maggoty , then he ate it.

Are you reading this John Tooze?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
With extra butter and pepper
If you like potato skins, you'll love cheese rind.

All these years you've been missing out.

And wasting good cheese :ohmy:

You any idea how many gallons of milk it takes to make a pound of cheese??

Lots!!
Sorry.... I am really really sorry :sad:

alicat

Legendary Member

I have, it's a delicacy in Corsica.

Cheese? Did someone mention cheese?

I'll eat anything cheese related. My latest achievement was to eat a 2 month out of date Stilton, rind and all.

Mrs S thinks I'm weird, but I believe cheese never goes out of date, it just gets better with age.

Ah, that's nothing. I'm tackling a large wedge of cave-aged cheddar that's, ahem, somewhat more mature. It's lush, btw.

Other than the squishy cheeses, as long as you don't unseal the packet, cheese keeps really well.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have heard tell that if you are a pregnant woman, and to be fair if you are pregnant then the chances are that you are female! Then it is inadvisable to eat the rind on cheeses, especially soft (live) cheese ! To be honest l cannot remember why this advise is given !

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have asked for it but the French think l am un fou and in any case how do you pronounce Brei .....every time l try it sounds as though l am impersonating a donkey !
To pronounce it proper like you have to be a scouser or close to it. If not then, sadly, there is little hope for you.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Cheese? Did someone mention cheese?

I'll eat anything cheese related. My latest achievement was to eat a 2 month out of date Stilton, rind and all.

Mrs S thinks I'm weird, but I believe cheese never goes out of date, it just gets better with age.
Stilton never dies especially if you drizzle a little port over it . To be clear in this regard l mean port wine rather than an area for unloading ships etc.

Top Bottom