Do you exagerate your times/speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Please no. I lose enough time already slowing down for traffic lights without being penalised for the time spent stopped as well

no difference overall on my ride in . i managed an almost no stop commute in today. was thwarted at southwark bridge/southwark street junction though. normally i end up stopped at every set of lights but overall negligible difference

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Politicians tell lies. Wherever they come from. Its dead easy to tell when they are lying, just look to see if their lips are moving.^_^

My best marathon time was at London 1984. 3hrs 17mins & 22 seconds. I was chuffed, very chuffed and I had done a lot of training to get that time. My worst was Birmingham marathon at over 5 hours. I had a lousy day.
On a bike I average about 12mph, which isn't fast but as has been said before, it doesn't take into consideration puffing up hills very slowly or whizzing down the other side, not so slowly.

Cannot see the point about making up personal bests etc as the only person I am kidding is myself.

defy-one

I did Hayes to Harrods in 1 hour dead today. Had to fix a server for them.
Same journey back- akmost 1.5 hours!!!!

Why? ..... Traffic and lights leaving london at 3.30pm. Left Hayes at 9.30am

+1

Average speed is also meaningless without knowing ascent/descent. I normally ride at 75ft/mile, I'm sure I'd go a lot quicker at 35ft/mile. My most recent ride was 120 miles, if I hadn't put 9000ft of ascent/descent in the way it would have been an awful lot easier.

A strong argument can also be made for a speedometer that measures air speed, and number of miles of air you have pushed through, rather than road speed and road miles, seeing as resistance is mostly due to air (in the absence of steep hills).

In comparison my regular 30 mile ride around the fens has a total climb of 95 feet (only because i go over
five flyovers).
Air speed monitoring would be good, as 10 miles of solid headwind knocking your speed down to 8mph
round the fens is different to 3 miles of climb then 3 miles of freewheeling in north wales.
(I prefer the pass of llanberis to fenland anyway).

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My half marathon time will be indellibly written into my brain for the rest of my life. But there again, it will be my only 1/2 marathon. Unlike Mr Ryan, who has done..... erm...... only one marathon.

1 hr 46 mins 11s, in case you are interested.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, as I said to Raymond Poulidor, as I outsprinted him in the Grand Prix des Nations back in 1962 - 'Ray, if you put half the effort in to your time trialling as those of us in the Nutwood Forest Velocipede and Beetle Drive Club, you'd stand some kind of chance....'

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I underplay any slight advantage slogging it for the last six months may have given me because I want my friends who are thinking of getting into cycling to come out on rides with me! At the moment I point out that I can't be fast because I only have one gear...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There is a difference between exaggerating your times/speeds and choosing the most flattering way to present your actual times/speeds. I do the latter on occasion! :smile:

Generally speaking, I am not as fast as I would like to be, so don't see my numbers as worth bragging about.

Top Bottom