Do you exagerate your times/speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
lol
much as I'd like to to boost the ol' ego, I think I'd only be cheating myself.....besides, I'm a terrible liar!

Sandra6

Veteran
I'd be instantly suspicious of someone who couldn't give the exact time in the first place.
I ran a fun run -6 miles - as a teenager and I can still tell you I did it in 1 hour 12 minutes.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Why would you be even remotely interested in listening to the ramblings of someone that runs 26 miles? Let alone bothered about how fast they were / how quick they did it?

This guy Ryan will go far in US politics.

The current US Secretary of State spoke movingly about dodging sniper fire when she left an official plane in Bosnia (was it at Eagle in Tuzla?)

When footage of the event showed that in fact she stepped gracefully off the steps as local children sang to her, she apologised for mis-speaking.

All those of us who have confused children's choirs for incoming hostile sniper fire will sympathise.

She lied and Ryan lied.

I, on the other hand, never lie. I was making just that point to Wiggins the other day, while I was showing him some of my time-trial techniques.

Without meaning to, I did a sub-18. Crazy!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'm very proud of my mediocre-to-most running achievements because of my size/weight, but i cant remember my PBs exactly as I havent been training or entering any races in a while. I think my best 10k was 54:34, 5k was about 24mins, half marathon was about 1h56 in training 2h01 in a race, kilomathon (26.2km) something like 2hrs35.

The reason I dont remember them exactly is because both the gps tracked training runs and some of the races werent very accurate on their supposed distance. One of the fun runs "5k" i did about a minute under PB because it was at least 200m short and even the half marathon, id run the distance and more like 5 times in training and on the day got bad cramping problems as did much of the field so dont feel like i have a represented official PB. Id definitely remember my marathon PB exactly though when/if i do one.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
All these phone apps and freestanding bike computers should have one function removed: Auto-pause

+1

Average speed is also meaningless without knowing ascent/descent. I normally ride at 75ft/mile, I'm sure I'd go a lot quicker at 35ft/mile. My most recent ride was 120 miles, if I hadn't put 9000ft of ascent/descent in the way it would have been an awful lot easier.

A strong argument can also be made for a speedometer that measures air speed, and number of miles of air you have pushed through, rather than road speed and road miles, seeing as resistance is mostly due to air (in the absence of steep hills).

colly

Re member eR
I underplay any times average speeds.

That way I can surprise and look impressive when I'm with others on a ride. :giggle:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Please no. I lose enough time already slowing down for traffic lights without being penalised for the time spent stopped as well

Time stopped at traffic lights is rest time. When the lights go green you'll be going extra fast after having rested, so it all evens out by the end of the ride.

Top Bottom