Do you feel that cycling is getting more dangerous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jotheboat

This is what happened to me on one ride from Todmorden to Littleborough and back last week...!

Sympathies, that sounds awful.
Another problem round our way is that the roads were basically built for horse and cart so they are completely overwhelmed by plonkers.

I went Littleborough to Tod, HB, Mytholmroyd, up Cragg Vale and back to the Boro this morning (Boxing Day) but left in the dark, 7.15 ish.
The sweet spot for cycling is: in the dark, everyone stuffed full of turkey and a bank holiday! The only potential danger is a straggling county lines drug courier just finishing up for the night!

Last edited:

Punkawallah

Über Member
Men in Black, are aliens running red lights?

Men in black on black bikes with black helmets, making them much easier to see.

albion

Guru
A167 towards Birtley from the Angel of the North roundabout has got interesting.
The new bits of the National Cycle Route 725 they are completing has removed the wide on road cycle lanes making it actually more dangerous for road cyclists.

It is also going to be difficult navigating between the two, en-route. Most of it is, I think is 'use it or lose it' grant driven.
Currently I use road there north, partly to navigate the roundabout. The current other roundabout option is to 'mad dash' scross the motorway slip road, requiring very high accuracy in judgement.

John Dobson Street in Newcastle is also new route 725, that itself being another frustrating 'mixed bag'.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Wasn't it nice though cycling on the roads during lockdown..No traffic to worry about.I found myself using roads I wouldn't of dared to use.It felt so much more relaxed being out there ,and gave you the opportunity to enjoy your surroundings

Yep jumped on quite a few empty A roads. Bliss and none of that annoying low level traffic noise that is always present. The insects and birds could be heard!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
More than that according to DFT

• there were 41.3 million licensed vehicles in the UK, an increase of 1.4% compared to the end of September 2022
The difference is probably due to including other types of vehicle (vans, lorries, buses...)? My figure was for cars only.

Whatever - it's a huge increase in traffic!

Plus the school run is now a thing that it wasn’t when most of us went to school (on foot, bike or bus).
That's a good point. Nearly every child at my school got there one of those 3 ways. 40 years later I went to visit my sister (who lives near the school) and walked past the school during the afternoon school run. The kerbsides were fully occupied on both sides of the road for hundreds of metres in both directions so parents were just double-parking in the middle of the road, causing gridlock! :wacko:

grldtnr

As above, ride assertively and not in the gutter. Particularly at traffic islands where someone will try and push through if you’re in the gutter. Be assertive but don’t get into shouting / slanging matches. No good comes of the latter exchanges. If you use cameras report close passes, but don’t let it ruin your day. Let it ruin their day.

It certainly changed since the 70s and 80s when I would ride the A roads regularly but that’s simply that the planners have engineered them in every upgrade since to prioritise the motor vehicle. Plus as Colin says the number of motorised vehicles continues to climb year on year with significantly more trips being made by car in the UK than in history. Plus the school run is now a thing that it wasn’t when most of us went to school (on foot, bike or bus).

In terms of the last decade I would not say it’s any more dangerous round here. I mostly ride quiet lanes or B roads. But even in towns most drivers realise they need to wait till it’s safe to overtake. The sooner we see 20 mph on built up roads the better in terms of calming down those who think they can ignore what they were taught about how to behave around vulnerable users on the road. The vast majority are fine, if impatient and distracted.
These 2 replies illustrate the problem , precisely.
It my opinion , that when drivers get behind the wheel ,the vast majority, just plain switch off, they do not engage with what they are doing , distracted by nefarious gizmo's about them, I don't allow such distractions, I rarely play the radio , I turn off my 'phone, I wouldn't answer it anyway, I don't drive very much now, preferring the Motor Scooter ,because it gets me where i want with far less hassle, if i going somewhere.
I went out Sunday morning on my bike to meet cycling friends, I had at least 3 incidents,all the classic moronic ones, turning left in front of me fr the right, my priority on the main road, the driver, in my opinoon should have joined after i psdy the juncyion safely, then overtakev,nothing behind me, i would have expected that.
Then the classic overtake then turn immediately left,
And the other old favourite overtake then stop for the roundabout, I was 2 to 3 car lengths from the give way line to turn left.
Really it beggers belief, its not that I am invisible, I am 6 ft 2 tall ,and half ad wide ,always try to wear bright conspicious clothing of some kind, but if I am on the recumbent trike. I don't get half as much traffic incidents.
If I am on the motor Scooter, currently on L- plates ,the badge of shame. The incidents are on par with being on a bicycle, which given ,I've been driving nigh on 45 years, I think I should know how to drive / ride 2 wheels by now.
It is this mentality, that we cyclist are a menace, Learner drivers too
But motorist, wouldn't ordainarily behave like that to other motorist...... But it does happen.
I know the risks involved on the roads and behave accordingly, having had one major RTC 20 odd yrs ago, which I survived,, but in so doing I did write the motorist car off, I might hasten to add that i wasn't at fault, apart from being in the right place at the wrong time, entirely the motorist fault.
Perhaps ,I am bitter about that, it changed my life , I am not so confident when I do take a bicycle out now, but I have missed a lot of cycling because of it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Men in black on black bikes with black helmets, making them much easier to see.

Yep, nothing to see here

IMG_0134.jpeg

Bristolian

I don't have much recent history to go by as far as cycling is concerned but, in my limited experience, drivers have started to give me more room since the HC update. I haven't been close passed in the last few months and my only other close encounter was a female car pulling out of a side road on my left who was distracted by the kids in the back seat and simply didn't see me at first. She jammed on the brakes as soon as I came into her field of vision.

Did she pull out because I am a cyclist? No, she was distracted and would have started to pull out no matter what was coming. Maybe she was lucky I wasn't driving a 40-ton artic but the fact is I'm an advanced driver (and motorcyclist) and had started to brake before she started to move. If I can't make eye contact then I assume it's up to me to be proactive.

I do ride in an assertive manner, adopting a position on the road that doesn't encourage overtaking; forcing the driver to make a conscious decision about an overtake. I've yet to be on the receiving end of any verbal abuse.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I do ride in an assertive manner, adopting a position on the road that doesn't encourage overtaking; forcing the driver to make a conscious decision about an overtake. I've yet to be on the receiving end of any verbal abuse.
That's my experience too. Positioned out of the gutter gets you seen and removes any temptation to "just squeeze through".

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The average motorised traffic speed in centralish London was about 6mph the last time I looked, and it's not getting any faster.
I don't feel in any greater danger than fifteen years ago, but , yes, distracted Mummies in tanks on the school run are best avoided.

Jotheboat

IMO being on a bike is a vulnerable place to be.
When a bus or a lorry goes past when I'm hobbling along in the often bumpy gutter (think grates etc.) the noise and power of these big things can be pretty intimidating.
These days cars are so well insulated and quiet that most drivers never experience that intimidation factor. 30 mph on a bike is pretty quick, with the wind and road noise, but in a car it barely registers. Even 10 / 20 mph over the limit it barely registers.
I've said to friends (but have been poo pooed) that while learning people should drive with the widows open in a busy environment to begin to see and feel the threats and potential dangers of what's around them. If you have a big lorry wheel 3 feet from your right ear within your safe cocoon, it's not a problem. But it's a different beast if you open your windows wide - which is basically where we are.

Top Bottom