Do you feel the cold ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a hard frost last night and my fingers and toes got a bit cold cycling in this morning. I was glad it's only 7 miles as a longer ride would have been rather unpleasant.

Bigtallfatbloke

frost..ha...I spit in the face of frost...I am just setting out in the next 10 mins....I'll only be wearing boxer shorts so there...:blush:;):tongue:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Patrick Stevens said:
There was a hard frost last night and my fingers and toes got a bit cold cycling in this morning. I was glad it's only 7 miles as a longer ride would have been rather unpleasant.

I trust you took extra precautions re the most important bits of your anatomy:ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Patrick Stevens said:

I trust you took extra precautions re the most important bits of your anatomy:ohmy:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Well, those'll obviously be bigger, so it'll be a breeze when she gets down to it...

Chris James

Über Member
I don't mind the cold, although I find my extremities get cold. When hill walking it is always my fingers that suffer. When cycling it is my toes.

As long as you include wind (not water) proofing then the cold will affect you little on a bike as you generate so much heat yourself.

Having said that, like a poster above, I have recently found that I start getting a bad chest when the colder weather arrives, although I think this is more down to the increase in viruses that are knocking around rather than the low temperatures as such.

Chris James

Über Member
I don't mind the cold, although I find my extremities get cold. When hill walking it is always my fingers that suffer. When cycling it is my toes.

As long as you include wind (not water) proofing then the cold will affect you little on a bike as you generate so much heat yourself.

Having said that, like a poster above, I have recently found that I start getting a bad chest when the colder weather arrives, although I think this is more down to the increase in viruses that are knocking around rather than the low temperatures as such.

Pete

Worth a 'bump' of this thread seeing as it's a freezebox of a morning today - about
-3° to -4° these parts.:biggrin:

Firstly, belated congrats to you Waffly - I wish I could lose - well I do it in Kg instead of stones but I'm sure you can do the sums - lose about 10Kg, that's all I ask, not as much as your effort, at the moment the willpower isn't there, but maybe, maybe...

I'm not sure that feeling the cold badly is as closely linked to losing weight as one supposes. I seem to recall that, in my younger days when I was a lot less - er - rounded than I am now, I didn't feel the cold worse than I do now - and I used to have a far longer commute. Maybe part of it is a psychological factor. Keeping the upper body and arms warm, and wearing a hat (if you wear a helmet put on one of those under-helmet caps), count for a lot. But probably you've tried all this already. Eventually you'll get used to the cold and notice it less. Good luck.

Back to this morning. Well, a lovely fresh invigorating morning with not a breath of wind (OK my commute's only 2 miles so I don't have time to freeze!). Spoilt by one thing. The pall of exhaust smoke hanging all around our estate, due to motorists running their engines for twenty minutes whilst they scrape and scrape and scrape (worse still are the bucket-of-water brigade who make their own ice rinks in front of their house, but that's another story). I wouldn't gripe so much if it were an unavoidable necessity, but every single house in our road has a garage.

Needless to say I'm up and away well before the neighbours. ;):biggrin:

Pete

Worth a 'bump' of this thread seeing as it's a freezebox of a morning today - about
-3° to -4° these parts.:biggrin:

Firstly, belated congrats to you Waffly - I wish I could lose - well I do it in Kg instead of stones but I'm sure you can do the sums - lose about 10Kg, that's all I ask, not as much as your effort, at the moment the willpower isn't there, but maybe, maybe...

I'm not sure that feeling the cold badly is as closely linked to losing weight as one supposes. I seem to recall that, in my younger days when I was a lot less - er - rounded than I am now, I didn't feel the cold worse than I do now - and I used to have a far longer commute. Maybe part of it is a psychological factor. Keeping the upper body and arms warm, and wearing a hat (if you wear a helmet put on one of those under-helmet caps), count for a lot. But probably you've tried all this already. Eventually you'll get used to the cold and notice it less. Good luck.

Back to this morning. Well, a lovely fresh invigorating morning with not a breath of wind (OK my commute's only 2 miles so I don't have time to freeze!). Spoilt by one thing. The pall of exhaust smoke hanging all around our estate, due to motorists running their engines for twenty minutes whilst they scrape and scrape and scrape (worse still are the bucket-of-water brigade who make their own ice rinks in front of their house, but that's another story). I wouldn't gripe so much if it were an unavoidable necessity, but every single house in our road has a garage.

Needless to say I'm up and away well before the neighbours. ;):biggrin:

Top Bottom