Do you go on your bike when the roads are covered with thin snow ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I know a PE teacher who did a 60 kms ride yesterday on such roads. His only comments were : " It was bloody cold. " My answer to that was; " Do you have a death wish".
I know he is in his late 20"s , very keen rider and possibly oblivious to the dangers and I am considerably older and fully aware of the dangers but even so, common sense should prevail I think.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good grief no

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
20221210_091859.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to put my reply into context...

From memory I have fallen off on the road due to slipping only 3 times during my adult cycling career, always during the winter.

Two of those events were on dry roads where the heavy gritting in the days/weeks before had left a slippy crust on the surface which even though it looked entirely dry (even under subsequent inspection) left a coating like grease as far as tyre grip was concerned. These were cold dry days with temps above freezing and no frost. Both times at a reasonable speed and resulted in some grazes and torn clothing.
The other time was urban riding in mid afternoon after a frosty morning. The frost had all cleared and I was several miles into my ride when I turned into a terraced street and went down instantly on a patch of frost that had been in the shadow of the houses all day. Slowish fall and no harm done other than embarrassment.

If it is snowy then you expect it and ride accordingly so no chance of falling off.

If you want to avoid falling off when the weather turns wintry then put the bike away in November and don't get it out again until April/May?

Sharky

Guru
About 10yrs ago, when we had heavy snow, I commuted into work on fresh soft snow. Most of my office colleagues couldn't even get their cars out of their drives. It was fun and no problems. The next day though was a different story. Overnight, the snow had frozen and I only managed 100 yds, slipping and sliding on the frozon snow and ice. Had to turn back and work from home.

Now retired and post a spill on black ice, will not venture out in sub zero conditions.

Alex321

Veteran
It depends on the snow, and other circumstances. Right at the moment, my wife is in hospital, so I am completely risk averse, and not taking the bike out if there is any chance at al of ice, but normally I will ride when it is snowing, or if there is thin SOFT snow on the roads. I won't if it has frozen overnight. - Which last night's snow has done, so I wouldn't be taking it out just now even in regular circumstances.

Top Bottom