Do you go on your bike when the roads are covered with thin snow ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you ever go youth hostelling in the winter when young. Sometimes it was white outside. You had no options , only way was to cycle home.. . People are getting soft today,😄

No, I’ve never been youth hosteling :whistle:
(Actually I may have stayed in one in Italy when a student)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having come off on black ice I'm cautious about it, and another fall would have my better half going mental. I invested in studded tyres 12 years ago for the old MTB, and for commuting I still took an off road route when it was icy even when road commuting - you don't want to be riding near slip sliding cars. On my current route you'd be mad to ride it (with standard tyres) when it's icy - there is a significant amount of water run off across any of the tarmac sections, which turns to solid ice - piece of cake with studded tyres though.

I must say I do enjoy a crisp cold morning, but it's done with the right equipment.

I do tend to avoid going anywhere in the car if it's thick snow - more for preserving my car from the idiots out there. That said, it was great yesterday in the Mrs' car with All Season tyres on - fabulous grip in the snow.

Neilka

Also, the riders experience counts. Someone who's been on two wheels for years has a different understanding of how the bike reacts.
Slower and no clips 👍🏽

geocycle

Legendary Member
I do two distinct forms of cycling, utility/commute and leisure rides. There was way too much ice and snow about this weekend to get the Spa out. But tomorrow I’ll probably be on the Thorn to work sticking to the gritted main roads rather than the cycle paths and quiet routes.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've had a few skiddy moments, particularly on black ice, but never actually come off on snow or ice.
iblw5bth_wed_mar__9_23_43_15_2005.jpg

It amazes me constantly that someone will happily get in a two ton box and drive in bad weather but are stunned at those of us who cycle as transport will do the same. We still have to shop, visit people, work and so on.

I think it's an unfortunate side effect of car culture. The inherently dangerous nature of a transport system based on cars is ignored along with the other disadvantages, so people have a false sense of security in a two ton box. The consequences can be seen on our roads every day, but especially in winter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom