Do you go on your bike when the roads are covered with thin snow ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It amazes me constantly that someone will happily get in a two ton box and drive in bad weather but are stunned at those of us who cycle as transport will do the same. We still have to shop, visit people, work and so on.

I can barely walk out of my street it's that slippy. No normal tyres bike stands a chance.

The main roads are gritted though so I only have to drive a hundred yards or so to clear roads.

My bike would fall over. A car is very unlikely to.

Nah - to damm old ! - top up on the spin bike and gym.

This cold snap will have probably passed in 3 weeks - a broken bone could take months to get over - just doesn't add up to me.

Although much respect to those who do go out.

D

Deleted member 26715

We have a horse & a pony (or rather the daughter has) 1 mile away from our house, I've ridden up to the field just about every day for nearly the last 2 years around 7am to let them out into the field, never given it a thought about not riding because of snow, I have I will to admit I hate riding in the rain & if too heavy will take the car, but that has only been a hand full in all that time. Now whether I'd go out for a leisure ride, not too sure.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Not if I can avoid it, especially on a road bike.

Mountain biking off road in these conditions is usually fine though, you don't really get the same build up of slick ice on rough off road surfaces.

I've come off a few times on black ice when I had no option but to commute on a road bike throughout winter, and IMO there's not always a great deal you can do to avoid it, regardless of skill level, once it gets past a certain level of iciness and a patch catches you unawares.

rivers

How far can I go?
Normally I wouldn't and would either take public transport or drive. This week leaves me with no other option besides riding to and from work. My wife is away with the car, and there are train strikes. Buses in Bristol have become so unreliable there's no point in even trying. I'll never make it to work.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes, but it has to be fresh, not melted due to gritting and refrozen as lumpy slush ice. What is far more dangerous is sub zero with freezing fog, which often translates to thin clear layers of ice over the tarmac.

AB82D45E-7F88-461D-9A9B-A2D0C9DD477F.jpeg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It amazes me constantly that someone will happily get in a two ton box and drive in bad weather but are stunned at those of us who cycle as transport will do the same. We still have to shop, visit people, work and so on.

On four wheels, assuming you're not going like a twat, if you skid a bit at modest speed, then nothing much happens. On two wheels, if you you skid a bit, then you are more than like on your arse. If ridden my motorcycle in snow maybe 3 times, and it was exceedingly unpleasant and dangerous though I got away with it. Push bike likewise though did come off on sheet ice - which I'd seen so was unhurt. Car - use a bit of sense and slow down, maybe slow down a lot, and it's really not big deal

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have a MTB with Schwalbe ice spike tyres fitted which I will use, but it's not great for anything other than short distances.

No way am I risking another off on black ice, after suffering one about 7 years ago and landing on my left hip. I am still suffering the after effects of that. It didn't break, but next time I might not be so lucky. Just not worth it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I tried to walk out of my not gritted housing estate a couple of hours ago: impossible, even though I had those grippy shoe thimgmies on.
The ice is thick, more than yesterday evening, maybe because there was light rain.
But tomorrow, just before 7am, I will cycle to work on my studded tyres, I don't have a choice.
The main road will be fine, once I get to it.

Top Bottom