Do you have a car or have use of a car?

Do you have a car/use of a car?

• Not, but I can easily borrow from someone living in my house/nearby if I need to

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • No, if I need to drive somewhere, I have to hire a car

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • No, and I can't drive

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Yes, but thinking about going car free if it's practical

• Yes, and have no plans to sell it

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • Give up my car? When hell freezes over!

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camrider

If you have a car that is getting very little use then the cost of maintaining it plus depreciation would suggest the best option is to ditch it. You can always hire one for the odd occasion you need one.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have been thinking of putting the car on SORN for a year as I will need to find, insurance, MOT, service and road fund money for it in the next couple of months.
Only snag would be that I do still use the car a lot for things I can't easily do without it.
Moving stuff about over long distances mainly, towing the trailer to the tip sometimes and transporting my parents about.

If I can get my electric car built then I can lay up the diesel car for a while and hire a car for the really long drives where I can't/won't use a train.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
A self inflicted problem surely?
Apply less effort, and travel a little slower in ordinary clothes.:smile:

Depends on where you live, I guess.

The daytime temperature is 25C+ here for 6 months of the year, so you'd have to put in the equivalent of a very slow walk's worth of effort to not get noticeably sweaty in those conditions. Which also raises another point. Cycling is pretty much out of the question from about 1pm - 7pm here in July and August, so anything we did that involved cycling in those months would have to be done by lunch time. Also, Malaga and Marbella are both about 15 miles away, and Marbella is over mountains, so I'm not talking about short and easy rides here.

This probably needs some more thought.

jugglingphil

Have a company car, which I use for customer visits (across the UK), maybe once every 2 weeks. Wife uses it for her her job as a part-time community midwife. Both use it for ferrying kids around.
Currently no plan to get rid of it, which is a shame as I'd be very happy without a car. However, it's simply not possible at the moment.

theFire

Veteran
I have a car but it broke down in November.... finally got it looked at on Monday. Kinda proved I dont really need it.

Over £1000 to get fixed, instead put it on drive, applied for SORN, cancelled insurance and asked for a VED refund! Now time to try to sell it!

The other half has a car which I am insured to drive. (She cant even ride a bike! But has promised she will learn this year!) We wouldn't be able to survive without it.. . especially as we have just had a baby :smile:

mattobrien

Guru
Cars, yes. I suspect many on here have them as a mode of transport, with their bikes as the main hobby.

I have cars and love them. I don't use them that much anymore but don't want to get rid of any right now.

My track car hasn't been used since September but I am very much looking forward to getting it back where it belongs, probably in March, weather permitting.

So all in all, cars are a hobby for me, along with bikes, so they go well beyond a means of transport, so will be staying with me for some time to come.

I used to love driving - still derive some enjoyment from it although I no longer drive RWD Skodas like I'm John Haugland

My car is used to go to the cash & carry once a week, and Sundays to go into the Peak District and go walking

It's not used for daily things, it's not used for shopping, taking parcels to the courier is done mostly by trailer unless the weather is too bad (blood's warm, skin's waterproof, cardboard boxes are neither)

I do want a van so I can use it as an occasional camper

col

Legendary Member
The reason we have the present car is for work, 44 mile round trip. No other way round it. Before then it was because of my son, in case ect. But If I could get a job in or near town Id happily get rid of it.

400bhp

Guru
Sold my car in October as it was being driven very infrequently - now rely on the wife's car.

Still got the race car though. Down from an 800 horse family to 400.

Top Bottom