Do you have a car or have use of a car?

Do you have a car/use of a car?

• Not, but I can easily borrow from someone living in my house/nearby if I need to

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • No, if I need to drive somewhere, I have to hire a car

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • No, and I can't drive

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Yes, but thinking about going car free if it's practical

• Yes, and have no plans to sell it

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • Give up my car? When hell freezes over!

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I used to love driving too. Well, I used to love driving fast (as in speeding) on almost empty roads. Since there isn't much opportunity for that any more, and especially not in Spain, unless you have limitless funds to pay the fines, it isn't so much fun now.

My partner has driven the car once, I think, in the 2.5 years we've lived in Spain, but she doesn't really want us to sell it just in case she decides to drive it one day. Really. I just can't be bothered with driving unless I absolutely have to, so it really seems pointless to keep paying over £300 a month (in finance, garage fees, and tax, insurance, etc) just to keep it sat in the garage. Even if we weren't left with much of a lump sum once we'd paid off the finance, the monthly saving would be significant. (It wouldn't be long before I could afford to buy one of those ICE recumbent trikes I keep drooling over.)

It is a big decision, though. I passed my test in the same month as my 17th birthday, and have owned a car ever since. The thought of not having one is a bit hard to get my head around.

Nebulous

Guru
Driving has been a big part of my life, and I really enjoyed it. I've been gradually cutting it down, but am a long way from giving it up. However I don't technically have a car!
My wife has a car, which I use occasionally to pick up the children. I have a converted minibus / camper van, which we use for weekends and holidays. It isn't insured for work use, not even travel to work, and did less than 3000 miles last year. I often need to travel with work, but can use a pool car, or more often a train.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am not sure that I would fall into any category since I have a driving licence, but because I am under 21 cannot hire a car due to restrictions with insurance .etc.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've no plans to sell my car as the missus uses it every day (nursery, school & commute). I only use it once or twice a week, and on long trips to visit family. My petrolhead tendencies have diminished since taking up cycling, but I still enoy driving.

col

Legendary Member
My missus says she would never drive, doesnt like how busy the roads can be, but then she doesnt have to when collycabs is available.

GrasB

Veteran
So far I'm the only one that's said 'When hell freezes over' :ohmy:

I'm feeling like I'm in a bit of a minority here!
My hobby is driving so it's when they ban all forms of motorsport (that's be when hell freezes over right?). I have a track car & a race preped rally car for short course evens (sprints, hill climbs, etc). If I were to take those out of the equation I wouldn't want to get rid of my Alfa as though it doesn't do a huge amount of miles what miles it does are long journeys that would other wise be much more expensive & awkward by public transport.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've not owned a car for over 30 years, we brought up our two lads car free, when I've needed one I've hired one. In the past I've worked in jobs that included driving vans and small lorries so in the past I've been able to borrow a vehicle occasionally. My youngest has now learned to drive so these days I could cadge a lift now and again. Driving is not something that I get any pleasure from, its something I've done in the past to earn a living or for transport.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1 family car , very handy living in a semi rural area with 2 children under 4 , wife does walk to school etc but to much for her to do stuff especially with her medical condition meaning trips to hospital etc .
I only use the car for trips to shops and if the weather is like it is atm , no public transport to where i work so its a car or bike for me anyway.Glad i had it the last few days .
Its payed for , £40 of petrol will last a month , large boot than i can get a bike in and at least 1 kid in the back ...its a keeper .

jayonabike