Car Insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lozcs

Guru
In the last 7 months I've cycled more than I've driven my car which means the my car mainly sits on the drive doing nothing while GF still drives hers about.

Her car had about a year of finance on and mine was all paid.

My car is more pratical as a family car so we cleared the finance on hers with the intention of selling.

Just looking into Insurance and getting quotes with my insurance and GF as named driver.

I have over 10 years NCB, clean license
She has 7 years NCB and 6 points (speeding, mobile phone)

Is there a way to insure the car and both retain our NCB? Or can NCB be frozen? Or how long until it is lost?
Do people hold a policy each for one car? or resign to the fact that only one person in a family builds up a NCB?

Any tips welcome!

lulubel

Über Member
I think it used to be that you keep your NCB for 2 years if you don't insure a car. After that, you start from scratch. I'm not sure if that's still the case, though.

Nebulous

Guru
It depends on the Insurance Company. Direct Line held my no claims for 3 years. Usually insurance companies just seem to hold it for 2.

Yep, most insurance companies honour a two year limit on no claims bonus.

This means you simply insure the car with alternating 'main drivers' each year. It's what my wife and I do. You then won't raise your no claims as fast obviously, but with 10 and 7 years respectively, you'll find this doesn't really matter, as the majority of companies jus look for 'over 7'

Top Bottom