Do you have a favourite board game?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
Mine is Balloon Race. It's an absolute corker, mainly because it is infuriatingly impossible to work out a winning strategy for it; although we have loads of theoretical ones none of them seems to work. It depends on bluff and memory - the latter of which goes a bit wonky once we get onto the second bottle of wine... I bought our copy on eBay, and then went two years without winning a single game!

I also like Hare and Tortoise, because I usually win that :biggrin:

The Germans do seem to be very good at inventing board games, don't they?

Rapidough, pictionary, cranium...what a larff

SamNichols

I'm a huge Monopoly fan: I'm merciless in it, and it takes hours when truly going.
Labyrinth, a weird little game, with a sliding board.
Drinking game buckaroo - made more fun when drinking a horrendous drink called: 'Stags Breath'. People get very competitive when they have to drink something they don't want to.

Pete

I used to get through a lot of Scrabble (the Guardian-reader's choice) - and I love boasting about the time I played a game in Spanish (not a language I'm fluent in) and beat my Spanish teacher*! However, regarding the ordinary English variety, I suppose I've rather cooled towards it over the years. Seems to be more and more a game of strategy rather than pure inventiveness, so much depends on knowing the 'allowable' 2-letter words (which ones are allowed varies from game to game according to the house rules). So I haven't played for quite a while now. There aren't really any others for me, PC games took over a long time ago!

*I had a handicap! I was allowed to browse in the dictionary. She wasn't.

Tetedelacourse

SamNichols said:
I'm a huge Monopoly fan: I'm merciless in it, and it takes hours when truly going.
Labyrinth, a weird little game, with a sliding board.
Drinking game buckaroo - made more fun when drinking a horrendous drink called: 'Stags Breath'. People get very competitive when they have to drink something they don't want to.

One of my more obscure memories is of playing travel monopoly in Nairobi airport.

SamNichols

Scrabulous, the online facebook scrabble is actually better than real scrabble, it's far more chilled out as a game and I've played games of it for weeks before. Someone doing a move, then someone doing the move 3 days after.

Risk. a game to destroy friendships.

L

ChrisKH

Guru
Naked Twister.

It's not a board game as such, but I enjoy it. :biggrin:

Teaching my eldest son chess at the moment. He is a monumental cheat. Gets it from his mother.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"Innuendo Scrabble". I've only played it once, but it was fun for...oh, about 30mins or so. Basically identical to normal scrabble, but you have to use rude or potentialy suggestive words. "Sausage" for example, would be ideal. "Bush" is clearly good for a few easy points. Words like "apple" would need justification, but "plum" would be a surefire winner. :biggrin:

Top Bottom