Do you have a favourite supermarket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For years I shopped at whichever supermarket I happened to be passing at the time.

But recently I've become very keen on Lidl.

When they first opened in the UK the shops were a bit low rent, as was some of the food.

However, we have a couple of newer ones near me now and they are excellent in both respects.

I like the size, big enough to have plenty of choice, but not so large as to be daunting and take an age to traipse around.

The food is the main attraction, the bread tastes like proper bread, and their raw and cooked meat is among some of the best I've tasted.

Their fizzy orange is nicer than Tango and less than half the price.

I'm not sure the meat is much cheaper than elsewhere, but while I'm not wealthy, I can afford to food shop mostly on taste and quality.

The Hereford sirloin is a particular favourite, always tender and juicy, and cooks a treat.

Ditto the leg of lamb 'steaks'.

Oh, and my Lidl reusable carrier bag is proving more durable than some others which only manage a few trips before falling apart.

Do you have a favourite supermarket?

Rocky

Hello decadence
Since the pandemic started, I've been avoiding supermarkets. I give my trade to the local corner shop which sells most things we need.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Normally I'd shop at Sainsbury's but since my accident in 2016, when I was unable to lift anything for many months and then my operation in 2017 when I was house-bound for 5 months, I've been shopping with them online. Top-up shops are done at my local Co-op, although currently a slightly bigger one 3 miles away.

Yes I could shop at discount stores such as Lidl and Aldi but I work hard, earn a decent salary and like the odd luxury. My local ASDA in Dewsbury is usually over-crowed and the layout makes it feel like you're in an over-bright rat-run. Also having the supermarket deliver saves a lot of time and hassle.

Given I'm currently being very, very careful as SWMBO works on a Covid ward and I'm probably dead if I catch Covid (won't bore you with medical details here) I'll stick with supermarket deliveries for a while yet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

We shopped with Tesco's for nearly 40 years, when we first got married it was Hillards who were apart from the CO-OP the only supermarket in the town, they were subsequently bought out by Tesco & opened an early Superstore. We just stayed with them even seeking them out when on holiday, we were an early adopter of online shopping as we both hate going to the shops. But as soon as the pandemic arrived our 40 years of loyalty was worthless, we were unable to get a delivery, so we jumped to Asda they were fine but very hit & miss on stock, then they opened a new shop closer to home & it all went wrong, so we jumped again this time to Morrisons, so far they have been fine. The main shop comes from them & then on a Sunday we sometimes go to an Aldi to pick a few things up & be waiting at the tills for 10am, across the road to Home Bargains for a few essentials loo rolls, soap, dog treats etc. then home again before most of the UK has woken up.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Since the pandemic started, I've been avoiding supermarkets. I give my trade to the local corner shop which sells most things we need.

Corner shops around here tend to be full of beer and crisps, which is fine if you want a four pack and a bag of cheese and onion, but rather limiting for the gourmands among us.

A Spar near me is not too bad, but most of the stuff is still heavily processed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We spilt our shop between Iceland, Lidl and Aldi.

Lidl and Aldi put other supermarkets to shame when it comes to choice and value.
Their mainstay own brand products such as Ketchup, Baked Beans etc are just as good if not better than named brands.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Lidl or Aldi quality are on a par generally with most other supermarkets. The fact you save about 30% on what you would spend in Sainsbury or Tesco is a bonus. Some of their deluxe ranges are outstanding and the wine selections are excellent. Where we are you regularly see Bentleys, Porsches etc in the Lidl car park. British supermarkets have lost a big share to the German new kids on the block. The shakeup can only help the consumer.
I will admit M and S and Waitrose seem to edge on quality in terms of fresh fruit and veg but not to the extent I feel the need to do a full shop in either.

View: https://youtu.be/3VFvQ6LYer4

Rocky

Hello decadence
Corner shops around here tend to be full of beer and crisps, which is fine if you want a four pack and a bag of cheese and onion, but rather limiting for the gourmands among us.

A Spar near me is not too bad, but most of the stuff is still heavily processed.
Ours is run by an Iranian man who sells all the basics but also bakes his own pies and pasties. He has a selection of fruit and veg as well as salad dishes. He doesn't sell much meat but I seem to have become a veggie by default over the last 12 months. He also sells beer from a local brewery which is quite palatable. It obviously costs a little more than the large CoOp up the road, but I feel safer with fewer people milling around and coughing on me.

The Bystander

Über Member
During lockdown it has been mostly the village Co-op.
Otherwise it would be Aldi because it's the only convenient supermarket with dedicated cycle parking (Tesco and Asda would also qualify but they're not as easy access on a bike).

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m not very brand loyal, except I never go to Lidl or Aldi, partly as they’re not close (not walking distance), parking is poor and when I have been I’ve been unimpressed by their offer. And you have to queue to pay which I hate!

Most use Asda for price, especially their fruit and veg which I eat a lot of. Tesco for a bigger selection and it’s closest (and massive). Not keen on Sainsbury’s generally but they have the best selection of prepared veggie stuff and good fish. Waitrose for treats (best ready meals), but have to drive to a proper sized one (there’s a little one about a mile away, which I use). M&S have the best snacks and treats! :hungry:

There is a Morrisons a mile or so away but I generally don’t go unless I’m that end of town, the store is a bit dingy.

Ive not had any particular concerns about shopping during the pandemic, I tend to go late and avoid weekends

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have no choice. Coop or coop. There used to be other shops but the coop gradually wore them down and they are now closed. In Oban I use Aldi as Lidl never have any tills open and I detest the self service system which never seems to work for me. There is a Tesco I have to go to for some things unavailable elsewhere. There is also a newish Markies but never been in as the car park is time limited and shared with other shops. The nearest Sainsbury is in Stirling about 80 miles away. Likewise any other major supermarket at least 100 miles from me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've been a Sainsbury's fanboy for decades, great range allowing a full, one-stop shop (important for a working family with kids) with enough variety to avoid boredom. Prices are comparable on a real world mixed basket, despite the moaners that will always point out the single items that are more expensive and claim this is indicative of an overall higher price!
However, by coincidence was just discussing this last night with Mrs Skol and in the last couple of years (since before Covid) we have noticed a continually poor level of stocking and are finding items long term out of stock for multiple visits. Not sure if this is just our local store or company wide, but how can you repeatedly run out of skimmed milk while having loads of semi and full fat? Recently no paella rice for about a month, but can nip into any other local supermarket and pick it up no problem so not a covid induced national shortage?
This might sound like moaning, but especially in the current Covid situation the need to make additional secondary shops at other retailers is not just an inconvenient waste of time.

Think we are going to try the Morrisons for a couple of weeks and see how they fare.

Top Bottom