Do you have a favourite supermarket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

I don't have a favourite supermarket.

I'm just here to say that if I see Wagyu burgers in Lidl (don't seem to be there often) I'm getting them! It's such a disappointment if I go to Lidl and they don't have any.

stephec

Legendary Member
Lidl's never got owt in
Sainsbury's is Morrisons + £15%
Asia and Tesco make me feel dead inside
Waitrose can sod off. Rubbish scotch eggs.
Booths wouldn't be allowed in Manchester

Morrisons all the way for me. Snap me arm off and it says made in Bradford.
Booth's have just closed their shop at Salford Quays, I don't know why as it was always busy whenever I was in there.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Iceland and Morrisons are my go to places. I hate the Co Op and only go there If I am desparate.

Not keen on Liddl. It seems to be a confusing place. I went Into the one in Newtown once and in the middle isle the had Kilts for sale:wacko:. I must have missed something.

They are building a new Aldi in Newtown as well, so in the space of less than a mile there will be no less than 4 large supermarkets 3 of which will be only a few hundred yards apart from each other.

Simple really. It's 'The Middle Of Lidl'.. an isle of special offers of gawd knows what. Good to watch out for their cycling specials
Don't go down the middle isle and you wont get confused. :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Aldi...... but mainly because its handy and I am allowed in at 0750 when there are only, maybe, 10 customers in.
I don't rate their raw meat......looks very fatty. There basic cheese is ok but their so called "better" cheeses are naff.
Lidl bread etc is superb but its a pain for me to get to.
I don't fancy Tesco or Asda while Covid is raging.

Gunk

Guru
Whilst there is nothing else to spend our money on, it’s been mainly M&S and Waitrose, plus a weekly delivery from Hello Fresh.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
We use Lidl or Aldi first and what we can't get there we'll generally get in whichever other supermarket is nearest, either Morrisons or Sainsbury's.

Meat is bought from the local butcher and fish from the local fishmonger. The latter does free delivery on spends over £10. Both are more expensive than the supermarkets but the difference in quality is noticeable and worth the extra.

snorri

Legendary Member
n on Liddl. It seems to be a confusing place. I went Into the one in Newtown once and in the middle isle the had Kilts for sale:wacko:. I must have missed something.
Was that on the third weekend in October in 2005? It's just that my local Lidl was selling Welsh football strips at that time. Perhaps some operative with a grudge in the distribution centre was swopping address labels?

si_c

Guru
We have an Aldi about 500m from our house, so that gets used for the bulk of day to day shopping - we find the quality of their stuff comparable to Tesco/Sainsbury own brand stuff. ASDA is a couple of miles away, but although it's cheap I just tend to be disappointed with any of their own brand stuff.

Any luxury items we get from M&S as it's on the same retail park as ASDA and there are two off-road cycle routes from where we are to the park meaning I can just ride down there and grab stuff. Tesco is about a mile and a half away so anything else we need we either walk or I ride up there. It means we rarely use the car for shopping, just bulk stuff like branded stuff from Tesco - or their luxury extra fruit hot cross buns :wub:.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Was that on the third weekend in October in 2005? It's just that my local Lidl was selling Welsh football strips at that time. Perhaps some operative with a grudge in the distribution centre was swopping address labels?

Not that long ago. Probably about 3 years ago. :laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Aldi and Lidl have worked damn hard since 2008-9 to court the cost conscious middle income consumer. Those central aisles featuring cycling, fishing and DIY items are not usually associated with low income households. They deserve their market share growth.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
We have a huge ASDA, within walking distance of home, so, until recently, we used that.

However, on our Motorhome trips in mainland Europe, we generally used Lidl, or, Aldi, and, were very impressed.

Both Lidl and Aldi have now opened branches near where we live, and, we now use ASDA, Lidl and Aldi. I particully like the fresh bakery products in Lidl, and, the wine in Aldi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom