Do you have any phobia's..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A friend of mine's son had a phobia of buttons. It made the transition to secondary school and the wearing of a formal school uniform particularly difficult.
He carried a little card to show to teachers for a while to say he was allowed not to do his top button up.
He's a salesman now wearing a suit and tie every day so I guess he has now grown out of it!

@Julia9054

Just as well as a grown man would look daft in a school uniform. :smile:

@Nigel-YZ1

Re 1 & 2 - are they genuine phobias as in provoking a psychological/physical reaction?

Asking just out of interest as I've never met someone with a phobia like that. Thanatophobia it's called (I confess to just looking that up).

Starting a few weeks ago, yes they are provoking a reaction. I have to concede though they may be a symptom created as a reaction to other causes.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I can't think of anything that would worry me to any great extent... I'm not particularly comfortable around wasps. I'd sooner belt one to death than try to tolerate that pestering and threatening thing that they do so well.

My wife was incredibly frightened of spiders but she had to get over it when our daughter came along, she didn't want to pass on her fears. Now she's comfortable to an extent and even gets close up to garden spiders so she can photograph them with a macro lens.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Asking just out of interest as I've never met someone with a phobia like that. Thanatophobia it's called (I confess to just looking that up).

To the extent of difficulty defining a phobia, once you get beyond that caveat, fear of death is more common than people think particularly in OCD (extremely diverse and complicated condition) and agoraphobia, but also other things like GAD where people may just say it's 'intrusive thoughts'. It's just that the focus is on other aspects of the anxiety and particularly that patients won't tell people about it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Starting a few weeks ago, yes they are provoking a reaction. I have to concede though they may be a symptom created as a reaction to other causes.

I 'liked' that for the reply.

I was interested from a slightly selfish perspective as I was mis-diagnosed with a nasty terminal disease last year and although I don't fear death at all the manner of death in this instance caused me to have anxiety attacks/depression/suicidal intentions. Just about recovering from the trauma a year down the line.

I hope nothing too horrible is going on in your life.

I 'liked' that for the reply.

I was interested from a slightly selfish perspective as I was mis-diagnosed with a nasty terminal disease last year and although I don't fear death at all the manner of death in this instance caused me to have anxiety attacks/depression/suicidal intentions. Just about recovering from the trauma a year down the line.

I hope nothing too horrible is going on in your life.

Glad to hear the diagnosis was wrong. My problems are more of my own creation as a reaction to stress, and having a depressive nature.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Moths.
When I was a kid, maybe 6 or 7, I had a really bad diabetic hypo attack one night in bed. Cold sweats. Fits. The works. I was soaked in sweat and shivering.
My mum took me downstairs and opened up the under stairs chubby hole to get me a blanket. Soon as that blanket was lifted, the biggest moth I'd ever seen flew out and zoomed past my head within inches. This thing was so big it had brass knuckle dusters on. Scared the life out of me.
I've been terrified of them ever since.

Getting lost.
The main reason I bought my etrex20 4 years ago was the fear of losing sight of the bike club in an unknown to me part of the country. The fear of being lost would have sent me into a panic which would then cause a diabetic hypo. That would then lead to me losing control of the bike and under the wheels of a Cheshire mum's BMW X4. As cruel a way to die as there is.

Heights.
I didn't realize just how bad this was till recently on a camping trip with my fiancee. We climbed to the top of the highest tower in Conwy Castle and I cannot describe how scared I was looking over the edge. Pam was killing herself laughing at my face as she's never seen me so petrified. She had to hold my hand coming back down that bloody joke of a staircase. Never again.

Birds indoors. All that flapping about does it for me. Can't stand them.

Oh, and being anywhere the edge of a bigdrop.

Top Bottom