Do you have to be tiny to ride a bmx?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering, always wanted a bmx as a kid, never got one as they didn't match my parents idea of a "sensible bike", but every time I see people on them doing stunts etc, I still really want one, even if it's just for whizzing about. I realise I've left it far too late to become any good at it, but also, would I have a chance of actually riding one being 6foot? They riders always look rather short....

oxbob

Shanaze reid is 171cm tall, hardly tiny, and remember most riding on a BMX is out of the saddle.Trials riders(motorbikes) tend to be tall/slim but the bikes are small

oxbob

Back OT, a guy round here rides a BMX to commute tho he does have a oversize seat post, he is around the(giant)6 foot mark

Bokonon

Über Member
A couple of years ago I was walking across town with a colleague, and passed a BMX locked up outside some offices. My colleague said "looks like some poor guy has had to borrow his child's bike to get to work," to which I replied "unfortunately there is a fashion at the moment for full grown adults to ride around on BMXs, so it probably belongs to the person who has ridden it to work."

On the way back, the BMX was being unlocked by its owner - a dwarf of no more than 4 foot, so the bike was, in fact, ideally sized for its owner.

skwerl

Bokonon said:
"unfortunately there is a fashion at the moment for full grown adults to ride around on BMXs, so it probably belongs to the person who has ridden it to work."

Nathan Barley syndrome. Unfortunately it seems to be persevering, although the bulk of the Barley-ites have progress to fixed-wheel

Jim_Noir

I see students around Glasgow Uni on them all the time, and some are big lads... in fact I'm off to the park with the hounds, I'll try and get some photos of them on the bike/skate park thing (people on bikes, not photos of dogs on a half pipe!)

Bokonon

Über Member
skwerl said:
Nathan Barley syndrome. Unfortunately it seems to be persevering, although the bulk of the Barley-ites have progress to fixed-wheel

I had to look up who Nathan Barley is as, not being a TV owner, I'm not really up on references to modern culture. However, I do own a number of fixed wheel bikes so does that make me wannabe cool?

skwerl

Bokonon said:
I had to look up who Nathan Barley is as, not being a TV owner, I'm not really up on references to modern culture. However, I do own a number of fixed wheel bikes so does that make me wannabe cool?

it depends if you own them because they're fashionable at the moment.

nilling said:
PP try Tarty Bikes in Bamber Bridge

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/index.html

Tarty Bikes are great ... but they are a Trials orientated shop, i bought Jake a Bike from them a couple of christmas's ago and the service was fantastic

Punky ... you should get one, i quite often jump on Jake's BMX to pop up to the shop in the village (i'm 42 and 6'0 tall) but you will get some strange looks as your transported back 20 years in time and the temptation to jump off the kerbs and pop wheelies gets the better of you :bravo:

But oh sooo much fun

Simon

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Jakes Dad said:
Tarty Bikes are great ... but they are a Trials orientated shop, i bought Jake a Bike from them a couple of christmas's ago and the service was fantastic

Punky ... you should get one, i quite often jump on Jake's BMX to pop up to the shop in the village (i'm 42 and 6'0 tall) but you will get some strange looks as your transported back 20 years in time and the temptation to jump off the kerbs and pop wheelies gets the better of you :bravo:

But oh sooo much fun

Simon

Lol, it looks fun...that's why I'm so tempted!!!! Good to know you get away with on the height and age front - as for funny looks, I suspect I'd have to get used to them!

a_n_t

still got one here and i'm 6'3". it is for sale tho.

3amigols.jpg

Top Bottom