Do you know of reasonable car insurers for first time drivers under 25?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Quite a simple question but more difficult to answer.My oldest will hopefully pass his test next week and I want to know if you know of any reasonable cost insurers.Thanks in advance for replies.

The massive cost of insurance for young drivers *is* reasonable, and should discourage more of them from driving.

Drago

Legendary Member
A lad down our street has bought a Peugeot 208 with a black box. Him Mum was telling us that she can monitor his driving with an app.

According to the app its at over 90% 'safe' when Mum is driving, as low as 14% when young Master Ramjet is at the controls. Mr Pot is right - insurance is far too cheap for many youngsters.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get an old Land Rover and pay almost nothing for insurance.....

.....but a fortune for petrol, oil, spares, repairs, rust prevention etc.

A lad down our street has bought a Peugeot 208 with a black box. Him Mum was telling us that she can monitor his driving with an app.

According to the app its at over 90% 'safe' when Mum is driving, as low as 14% when young Master Ramjet is at the controls. Mr Pot is right - insurance is far too cheap for many youngsters.
If its as low as14% they'll eventually cancel his insurance. You only get so long to improve your score.

Insurance is obviously going to be cheap on a vehicle that only actually works for 1 month of the year.
Be reasonable, 6 weeks :tongue:
I've got an old range rover. Sounds about right lol

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A mate broke a spring on his landrover driving across a mountain. With care he managed to drive it back to the road and then to where he was staying. Rest of spring was too rusty to get loose so he started to drive it back home without the spring being bolted on at all. After a few miles it fell off in a shower of sparks. Calmly stopped, popped the bolt back on the (still broken) spring and continued home saying "that'll save me grinding it off".

Another mate broke a half shaft on his in Spain. Engaged 4 wheel drive and drove it home (to uk) in front wheel drive only.

Not too many vehicles can continue with major failed components.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've often been curious about the black box things. They score you down for hard braking, yet if you brake hard to avoid a collision when someone pulls out on you then clearly you're doing well, not badly.

Indeed, gently pull away then the machine increases your score, but the machine will ignore the circumstances - you could be pulling out in front of people at junctions or on roundabouts, yet so long as you do so smoothly the box increases your score.

Top Bottom