Do you know of reasonable car insurers for first time drivers under 25?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Essex Spurs

Quite a simple question but more difficult to answer.My oldest will hopefully pass his test next week and I want to know if you know of any reasonable cost insurers.Thanks in advance for replies.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member
If your offspring is female give Go Girl a look. Because of Mrs D's variable health I paid for an intensive driving course and less than a month after turning 17 she was in a new Peugeot 107 for about £1200 a year, no black box. She's still only 20 and has bought herself a £22k Nissan Joke with all trimmings, still affordable, no black box.

Of course, if your sprog is a boy you can forget everything I've just written.

vickster

Legendary Member
If your offspring is female give Go Girl a look. Because of Mrs D's variable health I paid for an intensive driving course and less than a month after turning 17 she was in a new Peugeot 107 for about £1200 a year, no black box. She's still only 20 and has bought herself a £22k Nissan Joke with all trimmings, still affordable, no black box.

He refers to 'his test', so presumably a boy :smile:

Of course, if your sprog is a boy you can forget everything I've just written. insuring a car

ftfy

Ime it changes from week to week. I suspect insurers haveca quota from each demographic to fill and if they exceed this they give ludicrous quotes regardless of age sex etc. Son started with black box with an insurer that gave cash back if telementry showed good driving. He managed to secure around 80% of the cash back available and had no incidents and still with one yrs ncb the same insurer proceeded to quote him a significantly higher figure for the second year, go figure! Just shop around.

Hastings Direct Smartmiles (black box) and More Than (black box) were the two that recently came up cheapest for me for my two lads (19 and 17).

If you want them to build their own no claims, look at Marmalade.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Young driver here.

I went with Hastings for my first year of driving, they were the cheapest on a 1.9TDI Passat Estate though it took ALOT of ringing around, doing online quotes and talking to brokers to get the price I got for that car. Now in my second year of driving on a 1.6HDI Peugeot Im with PremiumChoice. Both times Ive refused to have a blackbox though quotes will be considerably lower with a blackbox, Hastings and Premium Choice were the cheapest when doing online quotes with a blackbox.

EDIT - I'm paying £950 Fully Comp, parked on a street In a rough-ish area, no no claims (I had a minor bump last year) No modifications, upto 20,000 miles per year with Commuting, Social., Domestic and pleasure. Compared to other people I know my age driving smaller engined petrol cars (boyracer cars like corsas, fiestas, puntos) my quote is VERY low.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
It may be worth trying some of the comparison web sites. This year my quotes went from £280ish to £1,200. I chose the 2nd cheapest as it was a name I recognised.

Mr Celine

Discordian
If your offspring is female give Go Girl a look.

Insurers aren't allowed to discriminate by gender.
My own insurance is with Go Girl. Fortunately it's possible to print the documents they send by email in black and white. My boss has to see my insurance certificate to prove I can use the car for work and I'm not showing anyone a barbie pink certificate.

Top Bottom