Do you know people who think they are fit ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
when they are so clearly not.

Ive got a colleague at work who put his name down for a 100mile charity cycle race.

He has only got a supermarket full suspension bike, still in its box. So he was thinking about borrowing a bike.

He does no fitness, even though he tells me that he will only have to train for a few weeks, "how hard can it be", "It will only take a couple hours"..........

I did try to explain how hard it would be and that it would take a lot more than a few hours. He had no idea at all. The problem is that he thinks that he it fit even though he has quite an obvious gut.

Well, he told me that he had to cancel, as he had an emergency come up.

Always an excuse.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I bet he discovered the "emergency" two miles into his first ride :thumbsup:

Bigtallfatbloke

some people talk a good game. For years I would probably have been in this category...harking back to my swmming days at school when I swam 100 lengths of the pool 4 times a week etc... but I never got back in the pool because i was embarrassed at my...erm...less than ideal physique....but these days I am more realistic...I know that on a bike I keel over and die at around 45 km so I plan around that....to me a 100 mile in one day trip is a long way away...but I'll do it next summer one day I feel sure.

col

Legendary Member
I thought i was sort of fit ish,but on my first commute in years to work on saturday,its only a seven mile round trip with a couple of small,ney mountainous hills, my legs were like jelly my lungs felt like they wanted to explode,and my arse is still aching,any tips to help an achy rear gratefully recieved:smile:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Sore Thumb said:
when they are so clearly not.

Ive got a colleague at work who put his name down for a 100mile charity cycle race.

He has only got a supermarket full suspension bike, still in its box. So he was thinking about borrowing a bike.

He does no fitness, even though he tells me that he will only have to train for a few weeks, "how hard can it be", "It will only take a couple hours"..........

I did try to explain how hard it would be and that it would take a lot more than a few hours. He had no idea at all. The problem is that he thinks that he it fit even though he has quite an obvious gut.

Well, he told me that he had to cancel, as he had an emergency come up.

Always an excuse.

:thumbsup: - mmmm if I were you I would not take him seriously.... don't let him bother you :thumbsup:

Rick

asterix

Comrade Member
It's amazing what people can do if they really want to. I did my first century rides on a 5-speed bike I bought from a junk shop. I wore jeans and trainers.
I didn't know about lycra otherwise I'd have wished I hadn't worn the jeansxx(

It did take more than a 'couple of hours' though!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
pzycoman said:
I dunno about 100 miles, but 55 miles, I can testify to that :thumbsup:
True:biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
I started a cycling 'club' at two of my locations in China, it was amasing the number of people who thought they were fit etc. and yet had to head for home after a few farily gentle K's along the roads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Where I work we do have some seriously fit people, a couple of rugby players, a few of us bikies and two marathon runners. But the rest of the lard arses are always banging on about how they would like to get fit and lose weight whilst stuffing down junk food like it's going out of fashion, or going outside for the 20th fag of the day. Some of them thnk us fit ones are supermen and or strange for playing sport, or cycling 100 miles at the weekend. It takes allsorts I suppose.

barq

I think the hardest ride I ever did was years ago when a fitter friend talked me into Guildford to Brighton and back, off-road on an Apollo mountain bike on what was one of the hottest days of the year. We did everything wrong like not taking food, hardly any water, stopping for beer (nice at the time, but it didn't help!)... I had done almost no cycling as an adult and although quite a good walker, I wasn't what you'd call cycling fit. I think I might still have been a two pack a day smoker then as well. I just about made it, but it took days to recover. I learned that there was a significant disparity between my perceived fitness and reality. :thumbsup:

These days, even in my office, there seem to be people who just don't understand that the reason many of us can cycle miles every weekend is precisely because we do go out and cycle miles every weekend - even in the winter.

Tetedelacourse

Ha ha, good thread Sore Thumb!

I know a fair few folk who fall into this category, including myself at times!

Last year I went for a manly game of badminton in my lunch break one day. I used to be fairly handy, played at Uni level. However, after a good 10 years out, it was hilarious. I seemed to wobble everywhere for a few seconds after I'd moved for a shot! Think I'll stick to le velo and le fut from now on!

Top Bottom