Do you lock your saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

I've been reading up on locking techniques in preparation for my shiny new bike arriving, and I was just wondering whether anyone locks their saddle? A lot of sites advise it, but in the topics I've found on here no one mentions doing it.

My saddle is leather or faux leather, but it's not a Brooks, so will I be wasting my time locking it, or worse, making people think that it's actually worth pinching when it's not?

I'm worried I'm going a bit overboard with my bike security, so that the local scrotes will think that it's worth more than it actually is and will be even more tempted by it. What do you reckon, sod it and chuck as many locks as I like on, or hold back?

e-rider

crappy member
I don't lock mine mainly because it's fairly cheap.

If I was using a quick release saddle clamp I would be more concerned or if my saddle/seatpost was valuable.

I've heard plenty of stories of them getting stolen - I can only guess that on most occasions it's done for a joke by teenagers - still very annoying and potentially expensive to sort out.

Howard

Used to run a krypto flex cable through the saddle rails and around the frame. Made it much more difficult, but not impossible, for theives to remove the seatpost.

Now I take the seat with me. Bike without a seat is pretty annoying to sort out if you are a lazy theiving scumbag shite.

So the opposite, in fact.

g00se

Veteran
I've kept the quick release bolt in case my other half uses the bike. It's a stock Kona saddle and seatpost so not too expensive but I use a kryptoflex saddle tether if I'm leaving it anywhere too leery.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
User3143 said:
I don't see the point in having a QR release saddle and much prefer the standard bolt.

In answer to the OP, no I have never locked my saddle and don't know how you would TBH.

Cable lock run through the rails then through the rear stays or main triangle, if its short enough then the seat post cannot even be pulled out. Makes stealing a seat to much effort for the minimal profit.

Personally would not take my saddle of when leaving bike outside, just lets water in, non-visible (until its too late) rust ahoy if its a steel frame!

Rob3rt said:
Personally would not take my saddle of when leaving bike outside, just lets water in, non-visible (until its too late) rust ahoy if its a steel frame!

Used to be a regular problem during my days in the bike shop, with cheap MTBs having Q/R saddles and unsealed bottom brackets, the rainwater just making a mayonnaise of the B/B bearing grease then mashing the horrid cheap bearing cages.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No.

Mine needs a 6mm Hex key and I park in a safe place with cameras.

It's a relatively inexpensive saddle anyway.

Davidc

Guru
No.

I do use an alarm on the bikes, set when left in the garage or parked in any possibly dodgy areas and that would go off if anyone tried to pinch the saddle. The Brooks on the tourer has value but how many potential thieving scumbags would know that?

like Moodyman mine need a 6mm hex key, I don't use QR on anything.

Martok

Klingon on a bike
My bike came with a QR saddle and I have never bothered to change it. I do use a cable lock through the saddle rails, through the frame and then the rear wheel and around an immovable object (it's a reasonable length cable lock). I then have a D lock that goes around the front wheel and frame and another immovable object. I like to ensure my bike is as difficult as possible to nick. :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No I don't lock mine and its not really high value - £40/50 but it would be easy enough to steal for anyone with allen keys. Couldn't be bothered to lock it up every time, and I frequently need to adjust the height of the saddle depending on what footware I'm wearing. Its got a couple of pink bits on the saddle which would hopefully put off greater than 60% of the cycling population.

luther

I was just considering this myself having watched a couple of Youtube clips about how to lock your bike :sad:; I'm also waiting for my shiny new bike. I ended up ordering the 7ft of Kryptoflex from Wiggle last night which is just enough to tuck through my saddle rails and on through my D lock.

I have a standard WTB Rocket V saddle on my current bike so nothing too expensive :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

taxing

summerdays said:
Its got a couple of pink bits on the saddle which would hopefully put off greater than 60% of the cycling population.

I've heard that the more you girlify your bike generally the less likely it is to be pinched, so I've bought a basket, a pink bell, and have got a massive flower hairslide to go on the front of the basket. Yeah it's all easily removed, but it might put the little toerags off. :tongue:

Top Bottom