Do you oil your chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dave5N said:
Ha ha yes. In fact the Fil suggested cooking oil for that reason!

I imagine it is a polarity issue, but my metallurgical past lies far in the hazy distance and I couldn't now recall how it all works.

Mmmm, Lard or Extra Virgin Olive oil? At Christmas of course I will be running Goose Fat.

As lard and Butter contain small amounts of water, it'll have to be the Extra Virgin.

Dave5N

Über Member
No no, you need an oil with a little, ahem, experience.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The longevity of this thread amazes me.

Anyone who rides their bike in the real world knows their chain needs both lubrication and protection from the elements.

Anyone who knows a little more than that knows that oil is at best a partial solution, because it provides both but also picks up crap and turns into nasty black gunge.

Anyone who knows a little more than that knows that the solution is proper chain lube, whether Finish or Prolink or whatever, which is widely available, cheap, and easy to use. Plus the Mickle Routine™. End of. Surely.

Dave5N

Über Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']The longevity of this thread amazes me.

Anyone who rides their bike in the real world knows their chain needs both lubrication and protection from the elements.

Anyone who knows a little more than that knows that oil is at best a partial solution, because it provides both but also picks up crap and turns into nasty black gunge.

Anyone who knows a little more than that knows that the solution is proper chain lube, whether Finish or Prolink or whatever, which is widely available, cheap, and easy to use. Plus the Mickle Routine™. End of. Surely.[/quote]

Bollox

Victim of marketing. Oil works better. End of. That's why engineers use it in engineering. When they want to lubricate moving steel surfaces over other steel surfaces.

Steel/grime wear is insignificant compared to steel on steel wear within the chain. Oil is also very effective at reducing surface oxidation.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Happy is good.:smile:

Top Bottom