Do you oil your chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

What I find interesting is that everyone is looking for an easy answer, and there isn't one!

The only way to keep the chain tidy, on a well-used, all weather bike, is to regularly strip, clean and re-lube the whole transmission. Nothing else works, end of.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
Brave words!

Re notloB, apart from Python, no reason at all.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I just squirt 3 in 1 all over it, wipe any off if it's dripping on the floor, ride for several thousand miles putting more lube on when I remember to do so, and then change chain and cassette if needed :biggrin:

Bug

I just oil when I remember, change components as and when. I've only ever changed a chain / rear cassette once - that was on my old bike and at around 4,500 miles I seem to remember. Even then it was running fine - I agreed with the LBS when they told me it needed doing when I got it serviced.

Probably helps that my componentry is always the bottom-of-the-range, made from iron girders stuff. I'm not one to buy the fancy lightweight stuff that falls apart if you sneeze...

I never oil my chain.

I just fit a new one of these every month
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11294

Only £219.99...

jimboalee

Do you oil your chain?

bog.jpg

Nope. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

cheesyname

Scottolier

I fitted a Scottoiler. I just hose off with water to get the chain and sprockets looking like new and apply on the next ride. It makes the chain side of things simpler.

It does seem odd that here we are due to derailleurs in the 21st century using exposed chains and sprockets. A around hundred years ago Sun provided an oil bath chain enclosure for bikes which is to my knowledge not available now, even for hub geared systems.

I know there are belt drives now, though the systems is not advised for MTBs due to the muddy conditions.

jimboalee

Anything that is made from metal - even stainless steel - that is exposed to a moist atmosphere, ie Air; requires continuous and never-ending attention.

If it has a Iron content, like a bike chain, it will need protection against H2O and Oxygen, or the Iron will oxidise.

This thread should now be dead.

The MickLe Method.:biggrin: Rag, Rag, Oil, Rag.

Top Bottom