Do you oil your chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

peanut

andrew_s said:
The chain may look completely bone dry, as new, but so does the rest of the bike. Has it ever been used outside in the weather?

I can't be bothered to read all 13 pages,

Well there is the answer really.:smile:

If you could be bothered you'd maybe look after your bike better and not just slop oil all over it to compensate.Nothing looks worse to my mind than a bike that is covered in thick black oil grease road dust mud and rust . It just says neglect to me

I went out yesterday in attrocious weather. When I got back I spent 8-10 minutes drying the bike off.
I bounced the bike on the tyres 5-6 times to shake some water off then i used 12 sheets of kitchen towel to wipe all the mud off and dry the bike off all over incl the wheel rims.
As I keep the bike in a warm kitchen it was probably completely dry by the time I'd showered and changed.:angry:

If you look closely at the pics you might just see some rust starting on the stays and head tube .It will need stripping and restoring next spring .

Fiona N

Veteran
porkypete said:
Anybody ever try boiling their chains in paraffin wax?

Yes but it wasn't just paraffin wax - the important bit was the moly di (molybdenum disulphide) which is a very slippery hard mineral substance which was supposed to reduce friction while the paraffin wax was a protective coating. Treating chains with this made them feel like they were replaced with velvet - so quiet, such perfect changing :smile: And it was a long-lasting treatment which was great for long distance touring in the rougher parts of the world - across Oz in various directions, along the Himalaya etc. - where river crossings and mud plugs are a daily possibility.

I wouldn't do it to a road bike chain for use in more clement conditions.

Fiona N

Veteran
Randochap said:
Mickle brought it up earlier, but it bears repeating: What about material safety concerns?

... using citrus degreaser...

But watch out for that citrus degreaser - just because it smells friendly and comes from fruit peels doesn't mean that it's any better for your skin than petro-chemicals. The turpenoids in citrus degreaser are just as nasty (and as easily absorbed by the skin) as (vegetable) turps, synthetic turpentine substitute, kerosene and other petroleum-derived solvents (with the exception of benzene, which is off the scale of nastiness)

Randochap

Senior hunter
Fiona N said:
The turpenoids in citrus degreaser are just as nasty (and as easily absorbed by the skin) as (vegetable) turps, synthetic turpentine substitute, kerosene and other petroleum-derived solvents (with the exception of benzene, which is off the scale of nastiness)

Yes, good idea to wear rubber gloves (unless you're alergic to them!)

I love the smell of Bike Lust in the morning.:biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
Oil. Preferably one full of fatty acids.

My FiL is a consultant Tribologist and gives me chapter and verse on this.

If you don't know what a Tribologist is you should have Googled like all the others have just done, and you shouldn't claim to know.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Dave5N said:

If you don't know what a Tribologist is you should have Googled like all the others have just done, and you shouldn't claim to know.

sorry but who gives a rat's ?;)

bikevigilante

i disagree - try using gunex 2000

yello

bikevigilante said:
i disagree - try using gunex 2000

What do you disagree with?

I've started using the Mickle 'wipe, oil and wipe' method (patent pending). It takes no time and, if I leave rag and oil next to the bikes, it's no hassle to do when I come in from a ride. Should I expect my chain life to treble? :rolleyes:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dave5N said:

Err... Tribology I understand, but why should fatty acids help to lube?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dave5N said:
They adsorb better to the metal, apparently.
That's interesting, is it due to their mild polarity compared to mineral hydrocarbon chains?
Isn't Castrol R a veg based lube? Is it for the same reasons that it was used for racing engines? Problem is I guess it can go gummy under certain circumstances.

Mr Pig

peanut said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many cyclists oil their chains . Its complete waste of time

Just to jump back into this one and illustrate how daft an idea this is.

On Friday night I fitted a new KMC chain. Removed the cassette, cleaned it spotless. Dissembled the rear mech cage, cleaned it and the wheels. Cleaned the chain rings, front dérailleur and fitted the lot back together. The new chain came covered in some kind of waxy lubricant so I did not oil it and it all ran sweet as a nut.

Went out on two-hour, mostly off-road ride early on Saturday morning. Lots of grass, mud, cow s*** but it did not rain the whole time we were out. When we got back we did the usual and hosed the muck off the bikes, not with a pressure washer, just taking the worst off.

Put the bike in the hall to dry off and guess what? There is rust on the brand new chain! That's one ride and a light hose. No detergent or high-pressure washing, no long rides in the teaming rain. Never oil your chain! yeah right ;0)

Dave5N

Über Member
Fab Foodie said:
That's interesting, is it due to their mild polarity compared to mineral hydrocarbon chains?
Isn't Castrol R a veg based lube? Is it for the same reasons that it was used for racing engines? Problem is I guess it can go gummy under certain circumstances.

Ha ha yes. In fact the Fil suggested cooking oil for that reason!

I imagine it is a polarity issue, but my metallurgical past lies far in the hazy distance and I couldn't now recall how it all works.

Top Bottom