Do you oil your chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

peanut

Mr Pig said:
It's not a lubricant ;0)

What you suggest might work fine on a road bike but it would be useless on a mountain bike. I'm literally just in the door from a traipse over the fields and I washed half a forest off my bike!

Well Mr Pig I guess I wasn't thinking about you MTB'rs when I typed that was I ?
Can't see what you see in all that mud n muck meself anyway ;)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
inhibiter not as a lubricant. WD40 is an extremely poor lubricant
LUBRICATES: WD-40's

OP
OP
P

peanut

numbnuts said:

numbnuts if manufacturers wanted you to use WD 40 to lubricate bearing surfaces they would recommend it and supply it and we would all be running our cars,mowers,aeroplanes,etc on WD40 but we ain't so why do you think that might be ?;):biggrin:

gratts

ON YER BIKE

• Protects bicycle chain
• Cleans bike chains
• Lubricates and protects unicycle seat post
• Protects bike frame from salt water corrosion
• Cleans rust off sprockets
• Drives moisture from bicycle gear shifting cables
• Drives moisture from bicycle chains after washing
• Drives moisture from bicycle bearings
• Drives moisture from tyre air nozzles after washing
• Removes unwanted decals from bicycle frames
• Loosens swivel on bicycle handlebars
• Prevents rust on bicycle spokes
• Prevents rust on bicycle brake threads
• Prevents rust on bicycle frame
• Prevents rust on bicycle brake cables
• Lubricates bicycle shocks

OP
OP
P

peanut

I guess this debate will go on into millenia without anyone agreeing. I'm sure there is as many cases for lubricating chains as there is not . Sheldon says lube and I have always respected the fresh way he looked at everything with an open and enquiring mind. backing his advice with scientific evidence and practical experimentation.

I personally will never oil my chain .I've been building my own bikes and riding them for 37 years .If my chain got rusty through leaving the bike outside or not drying it off or from neglect I'd buy a new one. They are pretty cheap lets face it

. I have never worn a chain out because I do not do high mileages like I know some of you do. I also run 2-3 bikes . For many with high mileages, single bikes and low income (thrifty) maybe there is a case for oiling everything in sight.:biggrin: As for all you mud pluggers well ....;)

Mr Pig

peanut said:
Can't see what you see in all that mud n muck meself anyway ;)

It was manky this morning! We were looking for tracks and trails that turned out to be just fields. We got covered in mud and manure! Interesting though, much more of a challenge than just sitting there with your legs going round ;0)

WD40 is a rubbish lubricant. What is worse is that it'll remove any real lubricant and you'll end up with nothing there. Don't believe the tin, according to that it prevents everything from divorce to global warming!

yello

peanut said:
I guess this debate will go on into millenia without anyone agreeing. I'm sure there is as many cases for lubricating chains as there is not:

I think there is plenty of agreement, it just tends to be either one or the other - like the choices really! But well summed up peanut. I do think it's horses for courses, preference and prejudice. In a world populated by as many different opinions as there are people, you'd kind of expect that.

As much as I'd like to not oil my chains (because I'm fundamentally lazy!), I just couldn't not do it. It goes against all I've ever learnt.

Mr Pig

peanut said:
I have never worn a chain out because I do not do high mileages. For many with high mileages, maybe there is a case for oiling

So are you now saying that oiling the chain 'will' help your chain last longer? ;0)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
So if you got a bike that you don't ride, it don't need oiling? That makes perfect sense i suppose.

'walks off wandering if I need to oil the bike I do use'

JonoB

Über Member
Gt85

Even cheaper here
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id18391.html

GT 85

• Aerosol
  • Penetrating Lubricant
  • Water displacer
  • With PTFE
  • No CFCs
  • Great for derailleurs, cables, brake levers
GT85: Soon after the launch of GT-85, supplies were being snapped up by MOD workshops. The aircraft and helicopter industry was soon to follow as word rapidly spread about the new cleaning and lubricant spray, with outstanding properties, which could benefit all types of machinery or equipment without leaving a sticky residue It was not long before the car, motor racing and cycling fraternities latched on to the usefulness of this new product which cleaned, protected and lubricated.
Gt85 is now the spray of choice for professionals and amateurs alike, at home and overseas. GT-85 has received a Department of Trade and Industry award for export achievement.
Major users include:- Virgin Airlines, BT, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Plessey, Ministry of Defence, Sunseeker International. The list above represent a small selection of major companies who recognise that GT85 is an outstanding product.
Lubrication: The right lubricant will keep your bike working properly for much longer and save you heaps of money in the long run. You'll need a thin, dry lube for the cables and pivots of your brakes and gears. This will resist water and won't attract dirt. Chains require something heavier.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Ah but it doesn't make toast does it !.......;):biggrin::biggrin:

gratts said:
ON YER BIKE

• Protects bicycle chain
• Cleans bike chains
• Lubricates and protects unicycle seat post
• Protects bike frame from salt water corrosion
• Cleans rust off sprockets
• Drives moisture from bicycle gear shifting cables
• Drives moisture from bicycle chains after washing
• Drives moisture from bicycle bearings
• Drives moisture from tyre air nozzles after washing
• Removes unwanted decals from bicycle frames
• Loosens swivel on bicycle handlebars
• Prevents rust on bicycle spokes
• Prevents rust on bicycle brake threads
• Prevents rust on bicycle frame
• Prevents rust on bicycle brake cables
• Lubricates bicycle shocks

jimboalee

Chain lubes.

Before lubing the chain, boil it in aviation kerosene ( on a low heat ).
Hang it to drain and fan it with a HOT hair dryer.

Now lay your chain on a spread of the Sun newspaper.
Spray liberally with chain wax. Castrol, Putolin or Wurth are as good as each other.

When nearly dry, pick chain up and wipe with cloth thoroughly to remove excess.

Hold chain at arms length and blow through each link with compressed air. ( don't do this at home ).

Put back on bike.

Top Bottom