Do you oil your chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Coincidentally, I've been swapping emails with an engineer friend asking about cleaning and oiling chains. He said an exposed system was always going to be a problem and that one answer was a toothed belt drive!

OP
OP
P

peanut

yello said:
Coincidentally, I've been swapping emails with an engineer friend asking about cleaning and oiling chains. He said an exposed system was always going to be a problem and that one answer was a toothed belt drive!
It would certainly be quiet and light . There are a lot of shaft drives around at the moment ,not sure how they compare

PaulB

Legendary Member
Did you know that WD40 stands for "water displacement - 40th formula"? I didn't till last Saturday.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
To answer the OP - no. But I do lube it. And nothing would persuade me to do otherwise. (Makes 'er run reeeeeeal nice!)

I boiled my Rolex in aviation kerosine, dried it with a hot-air paint stripper and then soaked it overnight in creosote.

It has cured the loud ticking sound it used to make, and I'm pretty sure it won't rust.

But it doesn't now work.

I sent it to Switzerland as a warranty issue, but Rolex told me to sod-off.
They said that because it was a copy made in China, it wasn't covered.

What should I do ?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
andy_wrx said:
I boiled my Rolex in aviation kerosine, dried it with a hot-air paint stripper and then soaked it overnight in creosote.

It has cured the loud ticking sound it used to make, and I'm pretty sure it won't rust.

But it doesn't now work.

What should I do ?

I'd get a proper KMC one this time rather than a cheap Chinese copy...

ASC1951

Guru
peanut said:
Cassette sprockets and rear mech jockey wheels require no lubricant whatsoever.
With respect - cobblers. If I don't grease the sleeve bearing on my Campag jockey wheels, they squeak. A squeak means the softer of two materials is being abraded. If you think that's ok you'll soon be good friends with your LBS.

Knobber

Have youl looked at the technology in lubricants today, why with all of this within your reach would you want to subject your drive train to atmospheric atacks? Road salt humidity oxygen, 3 major players in the oxydation process (rust). why not strap a sheet of sand paper to your chain?

Trust me lube it up you won't pay in the long term.

freakhatz

andy_wrx said:

But it doesn't now work.

What should I do ?

Sod off.

OP
OP
P

peanut

ASC1951 said:
With respect - cobblers. If I don't grease the sleeve bearing on my Campag jockey wheels, they squeak. A squeak means the softer of two materials is being abraded. If you think that's ok you'll soon be good friends with your LBS.

try to read all of a members post and understand it before taking a small piece out of context and misquoting them.
I stated quite clearly that the bearings in the jockey wheels require lubricating but that is the faces of the bearing tubes

The cassette is made up of steel sprockets only and no part of the cassette sprockets require lubrication The freehub is not part of the cassette.
I hope that is clear enough now;)

gbb

Legendary Member
peanut said:
try to read all of a members post and understand it before taking a small piece out of context and misquoting them.
I stated quite clearly that the bearings in the jockey wheels require lubricating but that is the faces of the bearing tubes

The cassette is made up of steel sprockets only and no part of the cassette sprockets require lubrication The freehub is not part of the cassette.
I hope that is clear enough now;)

If you believe it works for you peanut...fair enough. I'm not going to try to convince you....
The sprockets are made of steel. So are the chain rollers. Steel components moving against steel require lubrication..otherwise you get wear. As stated earlier, the oil is purely to place a protective barrier between the two metals. No barrier...you'll get wear.

A dry sprocket WILL wear faster than a lubed one....no-one will ever convince me otherwise. I've seen too many conveyor systems worn out because of poor / no lubrication.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
A steel sprocket exposed to water will rust. rust will increase chainwear, sprocket wear etc.

So what substance can i put on my cassette to prevent rust that will also increase the length of time my components last? Its really got me thinking this one... If only i could come up with an answer!

Top Bottom