Do you oil your chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
peanut said:
try to read all of a members post and understand it before taking a small piece out of context and misquoting them.
I stated quite clearly that the bearings in the jockey wheels require lubricating but that is the faces of the bearing tubes
Sorry, peanut, you're quite right - I grovel.

OP
OP
P

peanut

ASC1951 said:
Sorry, peanut, you're quite right - I grovel.

nope lower :angry: you're not low enough yet lol:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Maz

Guru
mickle said:
Most of the black gunk will come off with a vigorous wipe-down with a rag, the rest becomes diluted with the fresh lube and comes off easily. Always spend a lot more time wiping than applying lube. By wiping off any excess lube you'll prevent the accumulation of gunk which is just lube with road crap in it. It's the simplest way to maintain your chain. And I think it's the best.
Thanks, mickle. I did as you said and the chain has come up a treat.

Mr Pig

You people are all peasants. When your chain, or in fact your bicycle, become dirty one simply throws them away and buys a new one. Just as you do with underwear.

dodgy

goo_mason said:
Yep . They did an article on all the best lubes and said WD40 was great. I could hear Mickle screaming as I read it. :biggrin:

Must have missed that, I'm a subscriber, too. Reminds me of when I stopped subscribing to Stuff magazine after they wrote some advice for a reader saying they should spend as much as they could afford (or words to that effect) on a decent Monster HDMI cable. I cancelled my subscription after that along with a load of other people.

Panter said:
You're all wrong. WD-40 is where it's at.:wacko:

Says so in cycling plus so it must be true xx(

My subscription copy arrived the day after this thread appeared and I smiled when I saw it was recommending WD40 and GT85 as chain lubes...

dodgy

Oh it's in the current issue? It's on my coffee table, usually read it post-ride on a weekend.

Dave.

notthebuzzard

Now then - this WD-40 in Cycling Plus 'furore'...it was written by a man with nearly 30 years experience as a bike mechanic and rider. He does know his stuff - even if it's a controversial view...

OP
OP
P

peanut

well I can almost guarantee it wasn't recommended by Hillary Stone and when you are talking experts there is none greater in my book and few equal save the late great Sheldon R.I.P..:biggrin:

Top Bottom