Do you really need padded shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza_d

Unpadded for me. But I ride what are now well broken in leather saddles & I can ride all day comfortably.
I used to have shorts with thin artificial chamois, but can't get on with the new pads at all

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do you ever try anything to see if it improves things?
Yes. I've never been in such pain. It's similar to riding a thickly-padded saddle but with the added pain of seams. Just get a correctly-padded-for-you saddle. Much less painful.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes. I've never been in such pain. It's similar to riding a thickly-padded saddle but with the added pain of seams. Just get a correctly-padded-for-you saddle. Much less painful.

Sorry but that is very wrong, riding with padded shorts is very little like riding a padded saddle, do a bit of research and you will find out why.

gazza_d

Well padded shorts and padded saddles often make things worse as they spread the load over the soft tissue of the arse, rather than the sit bones, which can cause bruising and pain.

You need to find a thin or unpadded saddle which suits, or buy a leather saddle and break it in. Once it has it'll be a saddle for life!

Reactions: mjr

screenman

Legendary Member
Well padded shorts and padded saddles often make things worse as they spread the load over the soft tissue of the arse, rather than the sit bones, which can cause bruising and pain.

You need to find a thin or unpadded saddle which suits, or buy a leather saddle and break it in. Once it has it'll be a saddle for life!

Tell me, how many pro's ride without padded shorts? I have different saddles on all of my 7 bikes and even have an Essax (look it up) on the turbo bike, all of them are comfortable due to the fact I wear good qaulity shorts.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4620001, member: 43827"]If I wear lycra shorts I need a lot of padding, especially at the front, to stop people laughing.[/QUOTE]

Why is that?

D

Deleted member 1258

Do you ever try anything to see if it improves things? A guy I know does not like the way a 29er rides, he has he admits never sat on or ridden one though.

I don't feel the need to try padding, I'm comfortable without it.

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4620044, member: 43827"]Think about it. It's even worse in the cold weather.[/QUOTE]

Nope, still cannot come up with any reason too need padding at the front. Maybe that is one big difference between us guys that do a lot of swimming and guys that only cycle. Wear your lycra with pride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope, still cannot come up with any reason too need padding at the front. Maybe that is one big difference between us guys that do a lot of swimming and guys that only cycle. Wear your lycra with pride.
He's implying that he is somewhat underendowed and wishes to hide his little embarrassment :shy:

Milzy

Guru
Tell me, how many pro's ride without padded shorts? I have different saddles on all of my 7 bikes and even have an Essax (look it up) on the turbo bike, all of them are comfortable due to the fact I wear good qaulity shorts.
I thought Altura would be good enough but no. Hurts more. The pad either slips too further back or it just spreads the weight wrongly. I need to try Asoss or Rapha.

Top Bottom