Do you ride slower in the dark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have discovered that I ride about 4km slower on my commute to work in the dark, than my return in the light.

Even when I ride at night, my speed is lower, even though I try and keep the speed up.

Has anyone noticed this and can someone explain it?

Drago

Legendary Member
Nope.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Both ways are slower for me, as they are both in the dark at this time of year. To answer your question, yes, I am slower in the dark. I am slower in winter in general though, so I am not sure how much is winter and how much is lack of light. I am also a bit slower on night rides in summer too though, especially when there is a pint or three involved.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I allways feel as if I am faster in the dark but gps says slower.

I think its down to approaching bends more carefully.Probably wouldnt be any differen ce in a well lit area.

robjh

Legendary Member
I allways feel as if I am faster in the dark but gps says slower.

I think its down to approaching bends more carefully.Probably wouldnt be any differen ce in a well lit area.
As Banjo says.
I generally feel I'm flying along in the dark, but the journey times don't support my impression.

nb. I'm talking about country roads here. Urban roads are never properly dark and I doubt there's any speed difference.

C R

Guru
As @Banjo and @robjh said, it depends on lighting, on well lit roads I don't notice a difference, in country lanes I definitely go slower, even if I know the bends.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am on country roads. Deep dark country roads. Maybe that's it.

I will put the back light on my Wahoo tomorrow and actually keep an eye on the speed.

Like everyone else. I feel like I'm whizzing along in the dark.

It's not important. It only makes a 5 to 10 minute difference getting to work. But it is a mystery.

Ciar

Veteran
Definately slower in the dark, London drivers are bad and once the dark nights arrive they dont improve ;-) plus you cant see the numerous holes in the road as well hah!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Definately slower in the dark, London drivers are bad and once the dark nights arrive they dont improve ;-) […]
Not only are the motorists no better, but there are more of them in many places, as some walkers and cyclists switch to motoring because they feel walking or cycling is too dangerous in the dark, helping to perpetuate the problem they complain of... :rolleyes:

It also makes cycling slower because I have to wait longer at crossings and am more likely to use cycleways to bypass queues than use slightly faster carriageways.

[QUOTE 5103239, member: 9609"]may be you just need better lights[/QUOTE]

I find on a winding road in a forest it is as much about interpreting what can be seen between light and shadow, and remembering where the hidden ditches on each side of the road are, especially when there's leaves over everything.

The last bit is easier because it is dead straight and lit at the other end so I have something to aim for.

Top Bottom