Do you ride slower in the dark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Street lights on my commute are now the energy saving kind, actually a lot of them are never on, so it's quite dark most of the day in winter.
I'm never fast, but I feel the need to ride even slower when I can't see very well.
Probably, I should get a better front light.
My lights were adequate before they changed to energy saving light bulbs!

mgs315

And blind all the oncoming cyclists.

Aye, don’t be one of those. I was driving to work the other day (night shift and white van man to boot!) when I saw what looked like a small nuclear explosion come over the crest of the hill. Two alternate strobing high-powered lamps mounted on the handlebars and an equally powerful light attached to the helmet that was so bright I couldn’t actually tell anything on the road. I think I must’ve slowed almost to a stop for fear of driving into the oncoming cyclist as I couldn’t actually keep my eyes open it was that bright.

Wouldn’t be surprised they rode around wondering why despite all the lights they still had issues with drivers not seeing him, not realising they can’t actually see anything as their eyes are shut!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Riding in winter (day or night) is often slower due to wet roads, leaf muck, mud, etc. I definitely feel less confident of grip when cornering in winter. I'll often have to slow down when dazzled by oncoming cars (regardless of whether or not they've 'dipped').

Riding in summer is fine. Dry roads and warm temperatures make it a pleasure. I've set the odd personal best at night in summer!

pjd57

Veteran
Back on the being dazzled by oncoming lights.
I came along the Forth and Clyde canal path a couple of times after dark.
Had to stop more than once as all I could see was a very very bright light.

Top Bottom