Do you sometimes catch the front wheel with your feets on the pedal?

Do you sometimes catch the front wheel of your bike with your feets when making slow turns?

• yes

Votes: 45 56.3%
  • never had that on my bike

Votes: 35 43.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Occasionally, but only if I turn the wheel quite far, to avoid something. I thought it was one of my unique talents like tripping over my shadow

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I don't generally have trouble with feets on my fiets.:whistle:

Toe Clip Overlap is a common flaw on smaller frames, esp ones that use big wheels and long cranks.
TCO doesn't affect high speed use, but does impact on low speed manouvering.
If you have TCO, this is another thing you have to think about when picking your way through heavy city-centre traffic or crowded multi-use bike paths. Mostly people remember to avoid it, but sometimes, you get overloaded with input, you need to slow, steer, work around bollards, push-chairs, dogs, camber. Something gets dropped off your ToDo list, and that is often working the pedals to avoid TCO. If you add in clipless pedals, recovery from TCO becomes more difficult.
It is an avoidable flaw in non-racing bikes and there really is no excuse for designing a non-racebike with TCO.

jay clock

Massive member
It happens on a lot of bikes and isn't an issue. Only at very very slow speeds. If you want to swerve or turn at high speed a tiny wheel movement will be needed/ It is only at below about 5mph that I have ever had an issue

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The fashion for 29er mountain bikes has made the problem more common.

Some makers put them on frames that are too small.

Equally, you may see a 29er model on which the maker fits smaller wheels on the small frame version to avoid the problem.

Some small frame 29ers have the geometry set so there is no overlap.

I get it with my mudguards no matter how closely I fit them. Just have to be careful when turning the wheel sharply at very slow speeds/negotiating obstacles on cycle paths/attempting to track stand. Nearly fell off on my driveway once very embarrassingly, only just saved it.

Doesn't happen at speed though. If you put that much steering lock on trying to swerve in an emergency you would probably come off the bike regardless.

Top Bottom