Do you still report it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RiflemanSmith

Yeah most coppers if they see you on the phone will just tell you off as they don't want to do the paper work and minor driving offences are not high on their priority.
I am not saying that mobile use whilst driving is in any way okay and I always call any one I see doing a see you next Tuesday.
Me personally wouldn't want police time wasted with constant reports of bad driving that can't be investigated due to lack of evidence.

classic33

Leg End Member
This is an odd response...

1. Because the other driver was almost certainly drunk. He (or she) wasn't on the 'phone.

2. Because I told the person on the other end that I was almone in my car and on hand-held and he asked me to continue to speak and advise on my position.

Maybe it's a little pot & kettle. I don't know. The person who took my call seemed grateful and concerned. I had to apologise for hanging up and heading home because I was getting a long way off my route.

Maybe a serving copper can dispel any doubt. I was told during the call that it was OK as I was reporting an offence. I don't know, but I made the decision to make the call and was not criticised for my judgement.
Nothing odd about the response.
You simply said before replying with your rather longer explanation above that you reported the driver you were following, on your mobile whilst driving.
Your attention was focused on that of the driver you were reporting, possibly to the detriment of anything else going on & not on what you were doing, driving wise.

Pot, kettle & black still stands.

The last time I reported a dangerous load, I was asked by the person taking the call to stop when possible, turn the engine off & only then would she continue the call. She'd stay on the line but do nothing further until I confirmed I'd done what she'd requested. This despite being on a bike at the time, stationary at the side of a busy road. She wanted confirmation that I'd turned the engine off.
Fair play to her on this part.

Nothing odd about the response.
You simply said before replying with your rather longer explanation above that you reported the driver you were following, on your mobile whilst driving.
Your attention was focused on that of the driver you were reporting, possibly to the detriment of anything else going on & not on what you were doing, driving wise.

Pot, kettle & black still stands.

The last time I reported a dangerous load, I was asked by the person taking the call to stop when possible, turn the engine off & only then would she continue the call. She'd stay on the line but do nothing further until I confirmed I'd done what she'd requested. This despite being on a bike at the time, stationary at the side of a busy road. She wanted confirmation that I'd turned the engine off.
Fair play to her on this part.

I accept this completely. I have no defence. I offer only a mitigation (already done).

Top Bottom