Do you thank drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
FF, I scan the horizon, with a hand protecting my eyes, from the summit of K2....

BenM

Veteran
I always try to acknowledge good driving.... though the chance of getting a wave is proportional to the size of the vehicle.

B.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I do as yesterday a white van man hung back while we passed 2 traffic islands, I held my hand up to say thanks (he was behind me at the time) then when he overtook safely both him and the passenger gave me a wave, so I gave the thumbs up. Its little things like this, that can make a satisfying commute into a nice one.

subaqua

What’s the point
its called balance.

if we only complained and never thanked the world would be a terrible place.

I always make sure i wave or thumbs up if the driver has been courteous. It costs nothing

asterix

Comrade Member
Yes, on the same basis as if I were driving, I don't thank people any more as a cyclist.. Although in this part of quiet rural France giving thanks for courteous driving seems to be unexpected. People expect courtesy as a matter of course and at first it was a bit of culture shock.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
its called balance.

if we only complained and never thanked the world would be a terrible place.

I always make sure i wave or thumbs up if the driver has been courteous. It costs nothing

+ 1.
1 thumb salute for the courteous and 2 finger salute for the not-so. Thankfully I use the former a lot more.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Did you hear anything back from it summer? I've complained and praised local bus driving but only got a response for the praise.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well all I did was ask them to pass on my thanks to the driver for his excellent driving so I wouldn't expect to hear back - but I do hope they passed on the message to him or all their drivers (it was the bus company that does the lots of the school transport for swimming and trips - so it was extremely good that it was being driven in a sensible manner - it could be my child on there next time).

Being on a recumbent trike makes waving at cars easy as my hands/arms support no weight.
So as long as its safe, then I wave a lot.

If I've just gone around a blind bend with a car behind and I can see its safe for the car to pass then I'll wave it passed and thank the driver for waiting with a wave. If I'm not sure its safe to overtake then I won't wave them past.

If I'm being overtake by a lorry/bus/hgv then I'll give them a thumbs up once its safe to pull back in. I like to think it makes the drivers job easier by doing that and I get some (~10%) flashing their indicators in thanks.
I'll also give cars/vans with trailers the same thumbs up for the same reason.

If someones waiting for me to go through a pinch point them they get thanked by a small wave, just like you'd do if you where in a car.

Doing all this costs me nothing and hopefully I'll keep getting good encounters with the driver next time I meet them.

Luck ............. :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I always wave or smile thanks, and if they are in earshot I'll call thanks at them too.

I do feel that something is wrong when we're thanking people for just doing what they should be (would you thank a driver for stopping at red lights on a pedestrian crossing?) but I do it anyway.

I also make a point of shaking my head disapprovingly if I'm at some lights and another cyclists waltzes through the red.

Top Bottom