Do you think Bicycle helmets should be required by law?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
No. Because its my head and I don't want to.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This is just my opinion but I think there should be a law on bike helmets:

1. Since bicycles are considered veichles and have the same rights and rules as other road users. It's the law for motorbikes/mopeds to wear helmets. So if we have to the same rights shouldn't cyclists also have to just like motorbikes/moped drivers.
2. If it was the law. There would be less deaths as most cyclists that die in accidents aren't wearing helmets and die from a brain injury.
3. Some countries it is the law so why not in all countries to make it fair?

I always wear my helmet!

what do you guys think?

1 is a non-sequitur.

2 suggests you're concerned about reducing avoidable brain injuries so your helmet compulsion would better addressed where most head injuries occur: to the occupants of motor vehicles.

3 is nonsense. Most countries have no such law so why not make it that way in all countries "to make it fair"?

Brandane

Legendary Member

1. Since bicycles are considered veichles and have the same rights and rules as other road users. It's the law for motorbikes/mopeds to wear helmets. So if we have to the same rights shouldn't cyclists also have to just like motorbikes/moped drivers.
2. If it was the law. There would be less deaths as most cyclists that die in accidents aren't wearing helmets and die from a brain injury.

I always wear my helmet!

what do you guys think?

I think you're trolling, but I will bite......
Just go out and enjoy riding your bike with or without a helmet. Personally I don't think cycling is dangerous so I choose NOT to wear a helmet with very questionable protective abilities. When it comes to brain injuries, I will take my chances. I wouldn't rely on a thin plastic hat with some foam lining to prevent a brain injury. Head injury - yes, possibly; but head injuries aren't particularly serious. Don't confuse "head" and "brain".
Finally, why even bother to compare cycling with motorcyclists? Pointless and meaningless. And motorbike helmets offer a far higher level of protection. Why aren't cyclists required to wear motorbike helmets, using your POV?
If you require further information, it's all in the lengthy helmet thread. I suggest you read it. You might become enlightened. Or saddened to find that a cycle helmet is as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
a cycle helmet is as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike.
Now now, we all know this is far from the truth.

I always wear my helmet!

what do you guys think?

Should old people on mobility scooters wear helmets?
Should Koreans all start wearing radiation suits?
Should constipated people start actually giving a shoot?

Brandane

Legendary Member
By the same logic - just so that it's "fair", let's make it the law for all bicycles to be fitted with air bags, 3 point inertia reel seat belts, side impact bars, front crumple zones, etc. etc.. Then we'll need to come up with a suitable structure to cope with all these extra features. Maybe something with doors, a roof, and a floor. It'll be so heavy that we're going to need an engine to move the thing. I would be surprised if someone hasn't already come up with such an invention.......

Wobblers

Euthermic

I always wear my helmet!

what do you guys think?

1. Different laws apply to different vehicles. By your reasoning, all occupants of cars and buses should be required to wear helmets. Just because one law is applied to one form of transport does not make it reasonable, sensible or proportionate to apply it to other forms.

2. There is no evidence to bakc up your claim that "most cyclists that die in accidents aren't wearing helmets and die from a brain injury". That's because it isn't actually true. Kindly refrain from presenting opinion as fact. And kindly take the trouble to actually find out what the facts are before posting.

3. In some countries women are not allowed out alone, or to drive cars. Again, by your reaosning, why not apply that law globally? Just because one country has a particular law does not make it right, fair or just. This is an argument withour any merit whatsoever. I also have to point out that the countries that do have mandatory helmet laws are very much in the minortity: Your "Reasoning" would be more logically applied in reverse: that the existence of a large majority of countries without such laws suggests that mandatory helmet laws should be repealed - "to make it fair".

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Sorry. I didn't know there was a thread already about this but bear I my mind opinions are opinions. It's just about opinions.

When you're asking for the imposition of legislation you need to be able to back that up, saying it's only about opinions isn't good enough. You might want to support your opinion with facts and evidence if you want to make people liable to prosecution.

Top Bottom