Do you think Bicycle helmets should be required by law?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Anyone who comes up to a complete stranger on a ride and berates them for not wearing a helmet can only do so because they feel embarrassed about it themselves and feel they have to justify it. What other reason could there be?
The angriest "discussion" I have ever had on the helmet issue was with a guy who, as far as I know doesn't cycle, so I'm not sure what he had to be embarrassed about.
He thought, among other things, that because hard hats are mandatory on building sites, they should also be mandatory for cyclists, common sense innit?:rolleyes:.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The angriest "discussion" I have ever had on the helmet issue was with a guy who, as far as I know doesn't cycle, so I'm not sure what he had to be embarrassed about.
He thought, among other things, that because hard hats are mandatory on building sites, they should also be mandatory for cyclists, common sense innit?:rolleyes:.
The majority of people who bring up the helmet question with me are usually non cyclists. I have lost count at how many car drivers use the no helmet thing as a form of self rightousness.

classic33

Leg End Member
When these become compulsory, maybe.
123519-dcf09e675cc337db09e7e37b543dfc52-1.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4968695, member: 43827"]This is a false analogy.

The (cheeky and self-righteous) people who might do that don't do it out of sense of shame that they don't eat cream cakes.

Are people who tell people of for not wearing seat belts only doing it because they are ashamed or embarrassed that they wear them?

(Please Mods, let me know what is wrong with this post as I believe it is justifyingly highlighting a false analogy by SJ, as the one you wouldn't print did)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, my fault. Deleted your post by mistake. Now reinstated.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4968545, member: 43827"]

I think that your use of the word shame is more likely to be because you think it's shameful or embarassing to be not wearing one and you are projecting that on to them. That's my contribution to the cod psychology theme, and it's probably as valid or in-valid as your opinion.[/QUOTE]
As I have never in my life made a comment to anyone who wears a helmet that wouldn't be true. I simply don't care, and I'd prefer if people who saw me riding without one didn't care either. Some obviously do as they insist on tiresomely pointing it out along with a lecture on how I will probably die if I fall off, and as I've never clapped eyes on any of them before and probably never will again they can't have any great concern for my well being I have to suspect their motives . I long ago came to the conclusion that maybe they are worried I may think them some sort of wimp for wearing one and feel compelled to justify their own use.

For the record, I don't have any thoughts about them at all and don't give a damn what they chose to wear. I respect their right to make their own choices and resent any interference in mine.

classic33

Leg End Member
Same here. Although they do seem to be concerned for my safety rather than trying to justify their bad driving. I suppose the logic is; cycle helmets exist, therefore they must be necessary.
Motorist helmets exist, why aren't they deemed necessary?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You should have seen the damage caused to my buff I was wearing on my head when I went through a van windscreen. If I hadn't of been wearing it, things could have been much worse. Buffs saves lives.
Blimey! Was the van a write-off?

[QUOTE 4969144, member: 9609"]is that the jet fighter pilots helmet or the new cycling one ?

Seriously though is the head up display on the visor ? not that I have ever given it much thought but I had imagined it on the windscreen[/QUOTE]

Lol
Love to see them on cycle helmet. Those would actually protect the head ;)

Both available. HUD is technically speaking on the aircraft. There are also systems that projects onto the visor.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4969018, member: 9609"]I think fighter pilots only wear helmets because they sit in an ejector seat. Which makes me wonder why no one has invented something simillar for the bike - an ejector saddle - something that could fire you 20' into the air if anything crashed into your rear wheel, certainly better to go over top of the truck that has rear ended you than to go under it.[/QUOTE]
Like this anti-theft version?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCueUsZ7rg

Top Bottom