1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think Bicycle helmets should be required by law?

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by Randombiker9, 6 Sep 2017.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Helmet advocates often behave like there is shame in wearing one, which is why they can't stand seeing anyone going without. There is no law against wearing a helmet, when you do no one comes up and says "WTF are you doing with one of those on your head", so what right do they have in trying to force those of us who think otherwise to be like them?

There is only one answer to helmet debates, and that is wear what you want and mind your own business about what others do.
  2. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

A lot of generalisations and assumptions.

So far in this thread I can only see one person saying helmets should be compulsory. There is no they.

And there is nothing to demonstrate that the op is pushing for compulsion because she is ashamed to be wearing one, just your opinion.

There is only one bit of your post that is justified and that is the last sentence.
    Justinslow and david k like this.
  3. Smokin Joe

Anyone who comes up to a complete stranger on a ride and berates them for not wearing a helmet can only do so because they feel embarrassed about it themselves and feel they have to justify it.

What other reason could there be?
    Fab Foodie likes this.
  4. queasyrider

You're the amateur psychologist, you tell me.
  5. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

London, UK
    No I don't think cyclists should wear helmets but commercial airplane pilots should especially considering the turbulence they get up there.

And considering fighter pilots do wear helmets, I'm not sure why commercial pilots should be exempt especially since they pay road tax ,(well, the ones who drive do, or should?)
    queasyrider and swansonj like this.
  6. Smokin Joe

I can only think of that one. Nobody goes up to the fat bloke at the lunch stop and tells him to put the cream cake down, do they?
    Fab Foodie and Mort like this.
  7. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

The angriest "discussion" I have ever had on the helmet issue was with a guy who, as far as I know doesn't cycle, so I'm not sure what he had to be embarrassed about.
    He thought, among other things, that because hard hats are mandatory on building sites, they should also be mandatory for cyclists, common sense innit?:rolleyes:.
  8. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Barmy in Barming
    The majority of people who bring up the helmet question with me are usually non cyclists. I have lost count at how many car drivers use the no helmet thing as a form of self rightousness.
  9. queasyrider

If they do it's obviously because they feel a sense of shame or embarassment that they are not eating a cream cake as well.

Similarly people who tell other people off for not wearing a seat belt in a car feel a sense of shame for wearing one.

I think that your use of the word shame is more likely to be because you think it's shameful or embarassing to be not wearing one and you are projecting that on to them. That's my contribution to the cod psychology theme, and it's probably as valid or in-valid as your opinion.
    jefmcg likes this.
  10. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

When these become compulsory, maybe.
    Fab Foodie and raleighnut like this.
  11. queasyrider

This is a false analogy.

The (cheeky and self-righteous) people who might do that don't do it out of sense of shame that they don't eat cream cakes.

Are people who tell people of for not wearing seat belts only doing it because they are ashamed or embarrassed that they wear them?

(Please Mods, let me know what is wrong with this post as I believe it is justifyingly highlighting a false analogy by SJ, as the one you wouldn't print did)
    david k likes this.
  12. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Barmy in Barming

Sorry, my fault. Deleted your post by mistake. Now reinstated.
  13. Smokin Joe

As I have never in my life made a comment to anyone who wears a helmet that wouldn't be true. I simply don't care, and I'd prefer if people who saw me riding without one didn't care either. Some obviously do as they insist on tiresomely pointing it out along with a lecture on how I will probably die if I fall off, and as I've never clapped eyes on any of them before and probably never will again they can't have any great concern for my well being I have to suspect their motives . I long ago came to the conclusion that maybe they are worried I may think them some sort of wimp for wearing one and feel compelled to justify their own use.

For the record, I don't have any thoughts about them at all and don't give a damn what they chose to wear. I respect their right to make their own choices and resent any interference in mine.
    Fab Foodie likes this.
  14. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Same here. Although they do seem to be concerned for my safety rather than trying to justify their bad driving. I suppose the logic is; cycle helmets exist, therefore they must be necessary.
    classic33 likes this.
  15. queasyrider

You are right to be annoyed about their interference, but you have no grounds at all for putting that interference down to their feelings of shame at wearing one, unless they told you so in their criticism. That was my reason for referring to amateur psychology.

For the record I have never, ever come across a strong (or weak) helmet advocate doing so because of the shame they feel in wearing them. It is invariably because they think their use improves safety (misguidedly or otherwise).
    david k likes this.