Do you tire more when it's cold?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last couple of rides I've had have been completely knackering, I don't know if its the cold air or what but just don't seem to have any stamina on 20-40mile rides. Usually resorting to granny gears on all but the shallowest climbs and rarely get into top even on the flat.

I'm wrapped up well, winter leggings, Sealskin socks, vest/shirt/jacket, I eat before riding and snack and drink during, I don't feel cold as I ride but just seem to have 'no go', hope its a temporary thing - is it just me?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Last couple of rides I've had have been completely knackering, I don't know if its the cold air or what but just don't seem to have any stamina on 20-40mile rides. Usually resorting to granny gears on all but the shallowest climbs and rarely get into top even on the flat.

I'm wrapped up well, winter leggings, Sealskin socks, vest/shirt/jacket, I eat before riding and snack and drink during, I don't feel cold as I ride but just seem to have 'no go', hope its a temporary thing - is it just me?
Think it's pretty much accepted that most of us slow down a bit over winter. Combination of the cold both on your muscles and breathing it in, plus wearing more layers of clothes, poorer road conditions, etc.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
As most of my rides are for leisure I do sometimes wonder if I am enjoying myself or not . It is a bit mental riding around in very little when everyone else is wrapped up with hats and scarfs :laugh: I normally find I am enjoying it and just crack on but when my fingers and toes start to get cold I head straight for home .

I thought it was the Christmas eating & drinking!!

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I remember doing a lot of longer rides at the beginning of 2013 and they were a lot tougher than the rides in the warmer spring weather. I think you use more energy staying warm.

jcoomber

Cold Thermogenisis - The rate that your body usually works at for a ride will be increase by the cold, due to your body having to fight to keep it warmer. This can increase energy consumption greatly and make you fatigue quicker.

Top Bottom