do you track your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So i started cycling again due to the lockdown and i have tracked nearly all my rides, but the last couple of times i have not bothered tracking them and just gone out and did a ride and it is quite refreshing in some way.

so do you track your rides (using any app or garmin etc)? or do you just ride without?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, Strava through phone and garmin (belt and braces, delete one when home)

si_c

Guru
At the moment I'm usually just going out for a ride for an hour or so and have a rough idea of where I'm going but no fixed plan. I record my rides because I record my rides but I'm not paying too much attention to the stats at the moment. I keep track mostly from habit as I'm not really doing too much riding generally at the moment.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Yes, Garmin edge 1000 uploaded to Strava on iPhone.
I like to log my rides, see progress (or not) and see what mileage I’ve done at the end of each year.
Edit - I do the same as @vickster, record rides on both devices just in case one fails.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Currently using the sport active app. No need to register or pay anything. Keeps plenty of stats on each ride.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had a really simple bike computer for ten years. To begin with, I was quite obsessive about keeping details of ride distances etc but after a couple of years I began to wonder what the point was. Now I just go out and enjoy myself, unworried about distances or performance.

xzenonuk

Veteran
i just use strava on my phone for pretty much all my rides, i like to know how many miles etc i have done and look at where i have been on the map after a ride and think ah that turn leads to there etc and go exploring next time.

also get pleasantly surprised if i feel like i have been slow and get several personal bests etc when i check strava after a ride.

got a cheapo odometre/speedo on my mountain bike but hasnt had a battery in it for years, think ill take it off lol

I was cycling a few years before I got a gps device. Then I discovered Strava and saw "segments" on my commute to work.
Then I started paying attention to these segments and trying to beat them.
It took a few weeks but I slowly realised that I wasn't enjoying my commute as much as before. So I changed my screen so I didn't see speed etc. and went back to enjoying the ride.
Too much of my life was measured - why in feck would I measure my time on the bike? ^_^

Having said that, I still record my rides.
A simple spreadsheet and a monthly total is a good way of tracking wear and tear on consumables.
On tour, my daily ride on Strava is easily edited to add photos and text if I like - a surprisingly pleasant and addictive task.

A nice "toy" app is Relive that will take your ride, impose it on a map and allow you to add photos. A sub gives more photos & music options. It's non analytical and is a pleasant way to show off to non cycling people ^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use my Wahoo Bolt to record all my rides and log them on Strava. I have set myself a goal of 7000km this year. I have never had a KOM and do not have any ambition to have one. But its good to know I am not the slowest in my age group. I find it useful for riding other peoples rides. I quite like letting someone else do the planning. I rode without the Wahoo Bolt on my bike yesterday. It was on Jannies bike and she rode with me. I had the feeling that something was missing. As if I had left something behind. When you ride every day. You know automatically what you should have with you and I didnt have the bolt 😁

Brandane

Legendary Member
An old CatEye Strada wireless fixed to each bike (4) to keep track of mileage. If going for a ride any longer than about 10 miles, I usually clip on the Garmin and record that on Garmin Connect. Not sure why, because I never look at the ride again.

Venod

Eh up
I use my Garmin which uploads to Garmin Connect on my phone, that uploads to Strava and RWGPS, I like to know what mileage I do in a year.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I use Strava ( the free version) and Garmin and sometimes Relive for longer rides as I like the TdF contour effect it plays.

Top Bottom