do you track your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Yes, Strava through phone and garmin (belt and braces, delete one when home)

I have a Huawei phone which is terrible for closing Strava if it thinks it's using too much battery, so I got a cheap GPS tracker but it's easier to just take the mobile on shorter rides. It usually lasts a few hours at least but this morning it cut off the last hour of a three hour ride, which unfortunately was the part with the big descents and equally big tailwinds, so I don't know what speeds I got up to. :smile:

I do it on regular routes to check my improvement in training/performance, but in all honesty the biggest factor is wind, it can make a huge amount of difference to speeds and times. I track everything for distance though.

No, used to ride in the eighties and early nineties with old style bike computers, but then, with combination of very busy job, young family and probably over training made myself quite ill. Took computers off all my bikes and have never got into the whole GPS / Strava malarkey (as ever, each to their own :okay:) just go out and enjoy the ride for the last 25 years, "sans" IT, love it.

I can understand tracking rides if it is part of a performance or fitness monitoring/improvement regime, but for anything else cannot understand the reason.

Do people track their trips around town shopping, or their walks in the countryside, or their every car route, either commuting or leisure?

Just ride, and rely on memory for the good (and bad) ones.

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I prefer not to have any computers or phone apps for the bike. When I get back home, I'll plot it out manually on MapMyRide - helps with memorizing the local lanes & bridleways, while keeping a record of distance and climbing metres.

For fitness, I'm happy if I can get 10 metres climbing for every kilometre, but that's not always possible here - if you live in a hilly area, you can't help but raise your heartbeat against gravity.:smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I can understand tracking rides if it is part of a performance or fitness monitoring/improvement regime, but for anything else cannot understand the reason.

Do people track their trips around town shopping, or their walks in the countryside, or their every car route, either commuting or leisure?

The same here. On longer rides then I use Strava, but I'm out on the bike most days and don't bother.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I have a Garmin which I upload. It helps keep a track of overall distances on my bikes and I try to arrange particular service intervals at certainty times (notably Rohloff hub oil changes). I don’t care for max speed, average moving speed, or any of that other mambo jumbo it records and stores.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In short, yes.

Record them using a Garmin Edge.

I don't trouble myself about distance or speed, but, I do keep a record and find it useful to give myself a wake up call, when I have been slacking and using various excuses (too cold, too hot, too windy, too wet, etc etc) for not getting myself off the sofa. ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

oh dear, I have to put my hand up and say "yes". I am a Runkeeper addict, and record all of my walks. ;)

I also have a Fitbit.

Is there any hope for me? ;)

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes using my Wahoo Elemnt and Strava (subscriber). I'm no slave to it but do enjoy scanning through a ride and using segments to understand if I'm getting any better.

I select some segments to have live on the Wahoo, mainly because it's good to know where each one starts. Today for example I knew our route included a top 100 climb. I set it to live so I knew when to dig in.

Drago

Legendary Member
Although I record my rides, I don't have palpitations if the GPS freezes or the battery goes US halfway through a ride. It's kind of my cycling diary, but I'm not too anal over it.

Top Bottom