Do you use spd's on your touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have them and so far so good. But i havent ridden with a full load yet...I read somewhere that they arn't good for touring...but I notice on the fully loaded tour bike pic site that several bikes have spd pedals fitted.

I only ask because today i nearly came off at a junction and reckon I would have had a serious fall had I been loaded.. :eek: :blush:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Yes, but it is best to be confident using them first.

mcr

Veteran
Personally, I wouldn't tour without them (however, I do tend to travel light), though I have now gone and got myself some single-sided spd 'touring' pedals, with a standard cage on the reverse, so I can give my smelly Shimano shoes an airing while I potter to the restaurant/pub in the evening in sandals or spare shoes.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
IMO the single sided ones are ideal for touring. I tend to unclip in towns where a sudden need to stop is more likely and clip in when I get going on the actual route.

yello

I doubt I could ride any bike without spds now. It'd just feel wrong! I've had them on my tourer for 4 or 5 years now and have no problems.

You may want to slacken the tension a little just to make clipping in and out a little easier if you're not so confident. Recessed cleats are also a must for touring.

asterix

Comrade Member
Another vote in favour of SPD. I used to have toeclips but spd's are far better and completely safe once you have become accustomed to them.

(In fact I would say they are safer because I believe you are more likely to unclip automatically in the even of a tumble. I haven't tested it..)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...good..I feel better now....when I fall off I'll blame you lot :tongue: :?: :biggrin:

I have the double sided ones and I am very happy with them...I'm not sure I would want to worry about which side I need to clip into all the time on the one sided versions.

Tony

I went clipless about three years ago, and I wouldn't use anything else now. I use trainer-type SPD shoes to allow me to stroll if necessary. At the moment, they are 12 quid Lidl specials...

Brock

Yep, double sided SPDs here aswell, I'm perfectly happy strolling around a bit in the shoes, and carry a pair of croc type rubbery clogs for slopping around the campsite.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Have been clipless for years touring. Originally SPD but switched to Speedplay Frogs when I had some knee problems. (They helped a lot).

I don't think you're anymore likely to fall off a loaded touring bike. Once releasing your foot is instinctive, then it's nothing to worry about whatever bike you're on.

The SPDs aren't the problem, its the shoes!

Buy a pair of "MTB" or "casual" that you can walk in and you will be fine.

In Winter I use a pair of MT90 Goretex walking boots with SPD soles and clip.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...i already have some nike walkable road shoes and they are fine...although I would not want to have to walk miles in them they will do for a trip around the shops etc. I'll take a spare set of cleats just in case one falls out...although it will be sods law that i'll loose the actual shoe...then I'll be buggard for sure...

Top Bottom