Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Never

Votes: 43 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
therefore you have no issue with me, unless you falsely accuse me of claiming something i havnt

Have I said I do have a problem with you?

I think you're wrong, on helmets, but I don't think you're being a dick about it, like some people.

Obviously, however their choice of walking or cycling will be affected by that distance and therefore, those cycling are likely to be the ones travelling further.

That's irrelevant. You have the choice of walking from home to work or cycling from home to work. The distance is the same. Walking there is significantly more dangerous.

Drivers wear seat belts and have the car acting as protection...

Despite that they are more likely to get a head injury in an accident than a cyclist. We had just seat belts but then added front airbags and then side airbags so why not helmets given the number of head injuries that occur?

david k

Hi
That's irrelevant. You have the choice of walking from home to work or cycling from home to work. The distance is the same. Walking there is significantly more dangerous.

I'm afraid it isnt irrelevant as the average commute is much further for cyclists than it is for pedestrians.

Suggesting walking is significantly more dangerous than cycling is misleading and doesnt help your argument

Drago

Legendary Member
How many pedestrians fall off their invisible bikes and get their invisible handlebar through the skull?

Next he'll be telling us pedestrians should have 1.6mm of tread on their shoes, or reflectors bolted to their arrisses.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
2000758 said:
Sorry, I thought your thing was trying to sort out the precise detail. Are you in fact a closet head pavement interaction denier?

Bit of a niche interest, that one. I sort of see where Mr Paul is coming from - I think he's saying that making statements that challenge common sense makes people think you are barmy. But on the other hand the very point of the helmets-for-pedestrians argument is its absurdity, and whilst all statistics elide specifics, they also tell truths, and the truth that they tell in this case is that trying to get people to go about their normal business wearing large pieces of polystyrene on their heads, and making out that they are reckless if they don't, is ridiculous. Helmets are ridiculous. It is ridiculous that we argue about it so much. When people ask us why we are not wearing a helmet, we should treat it as the ridiculous question it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom