Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Never

Votes: 43 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
... and you are both starting to sound like a scratched CD

Alternative opinions are available, the value of your property can go down as well as up etc

Confess now! My wife told you to type that so I'd point the arden wall and paint the weather wall.

I can't believe you're all in this together!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I wear a helmet even on my short commute (4 miles each way). Something happened a few months ago which made me think about helmet use. For some strange reason, one morning I decided to ride the bike out of the garage, rather than walk it out like I normall do. I suddenly felt a "SMACK" and for a split second couldn't work out what it was. Then I realised I had smacked my head on the steel lintel that holds the garage up. If I wasn't wearing my helmet I'm sure I would have opened up my head.

Now, I'm not suggesting that there are lots of garage doors on everyone's commute, but my point is that we never know what's going to hit us - be it a bird, a stone or a piece of ice falling from a plane.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I wear a helmet even on my short commute (4 miles each way). Something happened a few months ago which made me think about helmet use. For some strange reason, one morning I decided to ride the bike out of the garage, rather than walk it out like I normall do. I suddenly felt a "SMACK" and for a split second couldn't work out what it was. Then I realised I had smacked my head on the steel lintel that holds the garage up. If I wasn't wearing my helmet I'm sure I would have opened up my head.

Now, I'm not suggesting that there are lots of garage doors on everyone's commute, but my point is that we never know what's going to hit us - be it a bird, a stone or a piece of ice falling from a plane.

So based on that, you should also wear one when walking.

Dan_h

Oddly I have started putting my helmet on (when I wear one) after taking the bike out of the garage and taking it off before I put the bike away. The reason is that I have never hit my head getting the bike in and out of the garage without a helmet on, but have hit the top of my helmet on the garage door a few times. In this instance all I am doing is trashing my helmet and not protecting my head. I think the reason this happens is because the helmet is a couple of inches higher than my head and I cannot judge where it comes to very easily as I cant see it above my head!

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
You know when you sit in a car and don't feel right without the belt on, well I get the same thing without a lid on.....plus it exaggerates my pin head :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom