Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Never

Votes: 43 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... Cycling is a specific thing you do, some of the time, an activity where you travel, at speed, unprotected next to fast moving traffic a few feet from the ground, spills and falls are commonplace. Completely different to sitting in a boardroom drinking coffee. Seriously, come up with a better argument, even the mushroom head one is better than that.
That's fine - you brought up the helmet while motorcycling.

So two arguments (today's BOGOF offer)

1. For motorcycling, I also wear ****ing great boots, VERY substantial clothing, enormous gauntlets, and a visor. It's a specific activity, which I do some of the time, etc etc.

Come on then - tell me why you picked only the half-inch of polystyrene which LOOKS like a motor cycle helmet (but most certainly isn't) .... but not all the other motorbiking paraphernalia?

2. Motorbiking IS a specific thing I do. So is cycling. So is playing the guitar.

But I don't blindly apply safety measures appropriate for one activity to another - without some serious consideration. Gauntlets make finger-picking a little tricky, and cycle helmets encourage drivers of vehicles to encroach into my "safe space" far closer and far more frequently.

[QUOTE 1996828, member: 45"]...and here we have it again. You're correct to point out the circumstances of Liam Neeson's wife's injury, but that does not mean that helmets for skiers is not a good idea, neither does the comparison (whether intended or not) between skiers and snowy walkers have any relevant.[/quote]

But the lessons of her death are very relevant to all groups surely?

You cannot simply state that they are irrelevant to any group simply because you find it cinconvenient

She had a minor injury and refused medical treatment at the scene, and then on a second occasion.she then returned to her hotel room where she developed a headache, and an ambulance was called which transferred her to Hospital where she later died.

The real lesson from her death is to get any had injury seen by qualified medial staff.

That is surely relevant to any head injury to any person during any activity

Just wear a helmet and stop making crap excuse's not too.
And why precisely do you think I should listen to some pontificating prat on a cycling forum? :whistle:
Also where would I put my new helmet cam with no helmet?
Ummm - for me, that was the killer. Someone who has not yet discovered the virtues of old-fashioned elastic as a very comfortable, efficient, and flexible camera mount. :tongue:

StuartG

slower but further
Lets break this down to real basics.
Why should a helmet be worn, what is the point?
Well some folks who have never been to church and end up in a foxhole with incoming feel the need to say a prayer "just in case". When they survive and get out they may convince themselves the prayer 'did it' and wish to spread the word.

We never hear that from the dead. It must have been they didn't pray enough. Mind you a helmet may have helped :smile:

That's the sermon for today folks (and I fixed my wife's bike so I must go spend my brownie points).

StuartG

slower but further
[QUOTE 1996997, member: 45"]Each activity needs an individual risk assessment.[/quote]
No. Life is too short. Even to list the exceptions ...

[QUOTE 1997002, member: 45"]A helmet could (not should) be worn because it can provide a level of protection to the head in some impacts.

See - I managed that without comparing or even mentioning specific activities.[/quote]

Which is the point?

Are we talking about preventing head injuries?

1996583 said:
Oh and taking a shower

I was once knocked out cold in a shower.

My girlfriend (now wife) was in the next room and giggled when I staggered in, dazed and still wobbly.

I have no idea what caused it, but I blame soap. I know only that I fell and was knocked out.

I have yet to hit my head in a cycling mishap, although I sometimes wear a helmet cycling and never wear one in the shower.

I realise this adds little to the discussion, but I've had a fair amount to drink and am trying to appear sober.

My wife wears a shower cap.

Does that count?

avalon

Guru
Avalon's in Australia.
I believe only Australia, New Zealand and a few US states have compulsory helmet laws. The statistics are often manipulated by those on both sides of the argument about whether or not helmets save lives and my personal belief is that the evidence is inconclusive. I myself would like to have the right to
choose.
Be warned Roadrash, it may happen in Wiggan one day.:smile:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
People can wriggle all they like, but the simple fact is that some people fall and suffer a head injury as a pedestrian, and some people fall and suffer a head injury as a cyclist. Yet only cyclists are constantly urged to wear a helmet, and pedestrians are not. Why?

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
People can wriggle all they like, but the simple fact is that some people fall and suffer a head injury as a pedestrian, and some people fall and suffer a head injury as a cyclist. Yet only cyclists are constantly urged to wear a helmet, and pedestrians are not. Why?

Is that a serious question?

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
1997623 said:
Care to give it a serious answer?

Because riding on a road there is a significantly greater chance of a fatal head injury. There are greater hazards e.g. moving motor vehicles and a higher risk e.g. you are also moving at speed on the road. I carnt believe I had to entertain that question with an answer. It’s called a risk assessment.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Ok, we will both smash our heads at 20mph into a wall, I will wear a helmet and you, well you just dont wear one, who would come out worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom