Do you wear a pollution mask?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
I've just got back from a 27 miler (PB for me!), thought I'd go for a blast down CS7 here in London. Really enjoyed it, managed a modest but fun 14.8mph average overall.

BUT! I've come back and my throat feels scratchy and a bit sore. Obviously (for anyone that does the route), it's traffic laden (especially today it seemed) and a fair few times I was drafting behind buses which were chucking out their fair share of crap. First time I've thought about buying a pollution mask. How many here wear them and are they effective?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I first started commuted I tried one. But they are very restrictive, get too hot and sweaty. Binned it after a couple of commutes. And sure I read somewhere that they don't stop the smallest (& worse) particles getting through.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
When I first started commuted I tried one. But they are very restrictive, get too hot and sweaty. Binned it after a couple of commutes. And sure I read somewhere that they don't stop the smallest (& worse) particles getting through.

I see...I can totally imagine the overheating / sweat prob. What's the point if they don't stop the worst particles getting through...?!

musa

Über Member
I rarely see much people with them, I did try the dust mask one but I become cloggy and hot and almst suffocated in it, bottle of water (and some vicks is what I use (apply some in the nose) before riding)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I see...I can totally imagine the overheating / sweat prob. What's the point if they don't stop the worst particles getting through...?!

Someone thought they could call them 'anti pollution masks' and market them to gullible cyclists.
Though surprised they don't try market them to pedestrians in London as they suffer the same amount of pollution as cyclists.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
This isn't China

True say true say...I'm not really worried about the pollutants tbh, going for a good strong ride has enough health benefits to negate them IMO (that might be a totally naive thing to say though).

I must have seen at least 100 cyclists whilst I was out and only saw one wearing a mask. I also saw about 80% of them RLJing...including all the Barclays bikes users! (I refuse to call them Boris bikes :tongue: )

musa

Über Member
True say true say...I'm not really worried about the pollutants tbh, going for a good strong ride has enough health benefits to negate them IMO (that might be a totally naive thing to say though).

I must have seen at least 100 cyclists whilst I was out and only saw one wearing a mask. I also saw about 80% of them RLJing...including all the Barclays bikes users! (I refuse to call them Boris bikes :tongue: )

those boris bikes are trouble, most of it is for those who want to have fun I see three lads one night just abusing the night away, well what can you do?

I use vicks in the morning before i head to work i ended flushing it out halfway cah its runny lol

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
those boris bikes are trouble, most of it is for those who want to have fun I see three lads one night just abusing the night away, well what can you do?

I use vicks in the morning before i head to work i ended flushing it out halfway cah its runny lol

Oh man, Vicks up your nose?! That must get seriously messy :tongue:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
CS7 is a lot worse during commuting times than on the weekend for traffic.
Not really noticed it as an issue on that route but if you do get stuck behind a rather nasty diesel then it can be uncomfortable.

In the early days of cycle couriers (80s) you'd see a few of them around in London, but it all looked a little try-hard.

I never wore one and no other keen cyclists I knew took them seriously.

Lots of folk who got (briefly) faddy and fetishistic about cycling in the dawn of the urban MTB craze (1989-90?) wore them.

I'm not sure I've seen one in decades.

I wouldn't bother, but as I was a smoker in those days I may not be qualified to comment. :sad:

Top Bottom