Dodgy rim joint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I just bought a new 'cheap' bike for commuting and pub runs. Whilst I wasn't expecting aerospace engineering for £300 I didn't expect some of the things I found.

The biggest problem is the front wheel rim joint - there is a high ridge on it which catches the brake pad when the brakes are applied. This not only makes a very annoying sound with every wheel revolution but also judders the handlebars.

The bike is only a few days old - the front wheel should be replaced under warranty right?

The welding around the BB looks like a monkey did it (Cromoly) - should be strong enough though?!

Cardiac

Über Member
Take it back. No hesitation. A dodgy rim means dodgy handling and braking - means an accident waiting to happen.

If the welds look as bad as you suggest that could also be hiding a lack of weld in the correct places. The presence of weld material does not on its own mean that the weld is strong. It has to be fully contiguous with the pieces that it is holding together with no inclusions (no air spaces or other material).

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Take it back. No hesitation. A dodgy rim means dodgy handling and braking - means an accident waiting to happen.

If the welds look as bad as you suggest that could also be hiding a lack of weld in the correct places. The presence of weld material does not on its own mean that the weld is strong. It has to be fully contiguous with the pieces that it is holding together with no inclusions (no air spaces or other material).

Thanks, I have decided to return the bike for at least a new front wheel (I doubt they will change just the rim). I will also mention a few other minor things and the welding. I'll try and look at some other bikes the same and compare welding - if the others look normal I might push for a replacement but I'll not hold my breath for that! As it's a cheapish run-about bike it doesn't need to be perfect; just safe.

Top Bottom